Engine ID Help

I asked someone to keep an eye out for a dual carb 116 or 131 at the Harrisburg swap meet this year, and said to send pictures/build info BEFORE purchasing on my behalf. Guy didn’t do that, came back with this motor. Didn’t ask what it was, run time, work done to it or anything. Also asking way more than what I believed he paid for it, but that’s my problem so disregard. Anywho, I can see Vortex on the crankcase which tells me it’s definitely not a 125-131. I haven’t seen it in person and I was sent no other photos. Mismatched belt drivers, the jackshaft hub is clearly 20mm and the crank drivers are 30mm. Any help would be appreciated, and I’m hoping someone else on here saw this or knows the seller so I can get a straight story on the thing. Guy said he thinks the seller’s name was Frank. Thanks.

Attachments

• 7D10C88A-2361-4676-8177-628AB48F0D91.jpeg
    7D10C88A-2361-4676-8177-628AB48F0D91.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Appears to likely be a VL98, which is a 100cc. That engine has been sorta reincarnated as the Vortex VLR100, but i believe the new engine has a longer stroke and smaller piston size compared to the VL98. The stroke on the VLR is 54mm which is typical of 125cc engines, i'm not positive but from research i believe the VL98 is somewhere closer to 50mm stroke (was hard to find info).

Good eye - VL98 is what that is. They came in both horizontal and vertical reed cages... looks like you've got the horizontal one.

I'd estimate the worth of the package at $500-600. Old r100cc reeds have nowhere to run, so they're cheap.

Good eye - VL98 is what that is. They came in both horizontal and vertical reed cages... looks like you've got the horizontal one.

If this is a VL98, is it a good platform for a 116? This is either a superstock 100cc or an alky 116 by my guesses... and being horizontal, would that make getting dual carbs on it a headache?

I'm no expert here so maybe someone with more knowledge can speak to it, but I believe the horizontal reeds tend to flow a bit better to the transfer ports compared to the vertical. The only difficulty I see in duals is the fact that one set of needles will be pointed down, but that's not the end of the world. If it were my project I'd be looking at a crank from a VLR to stroke it, and then bore it out to a larger piston. Should make a good little engine I'd think.

Back