Engine Prices WOW !!!!!

I wonder why motors are always the bad guys. You can use a $50 clutch instead of a $300 one. Or you don't have to cut and prep your tires, you can run them straight out of the box. Or you don't have to run the higher priced chassis.
Folks do it because it's faster. That's the plain and simple truth.
Shucks, most teams probably spend more on entry fees and pit passes than they do on motors in a year. :)

Someone takes a few hundred dollars worth of materials and turns it into a $2000 chassis, or someone else takes a few hundred dollars worth of materials and turns it into a $900 motor.
Sounds like free enterprise to me.

The clone class is exactly how the racers want it to be. If they did not want it this way it would not be this way.

Um no its not, I was racing the clone when they were still stock, the clones now are the way motor builders want them, they saw a decline in profit's from flatheads so they moved to the next engine in line

You have 3 choices,
#1 Learn how to work on these clone engines and save money, buy a Original Box Stock Project engine and run a hone thru the big end of the rod, check the valves for seating and set the valve lash. Put a 38 main jet in the carb and go to the track. You can ask how to do any of these task on here and more. Later you can learn how to max the carb to a legal 615 and a lot other things you do to blue print one. This will not be a National Event engine but it will run good enough, if you run National Events you should not have problem paying an engine builder anyway.
#2 Pay the engine builder of your choice.
#3 Quit racing!!
I love these engines, it cost twice as much to build Flathead with same HP.
who says i am crying , the prices of these toy engines is of absolutly NO concern to me at all !! i just seen this in print and thought it was interesting conversation . as for building a engine not a problem for me at all , but i dont have to ........

You have 3 choices,
#1 Learn how to work on these clone engines and save money, buy a Original Box Stock Project engine and run a hone thru the big end of the rod, check the valves for seating and set the valve lash. Put a 38 main jet in the carb and go to the track. You can ask how to do any of these task on here and more. Later you can learn how to max the carb to a legal 615 and a lot other things you do to blue print one. This will not be a National Event engine but it will run good enough, if you run National Events you should not have problem paying an engine builder anyway.
#3 Quit racing!!

#4 Buy a Yamaha

Not crying at all

You have 3 choices,
#3 Quit racing!!

#1 I can work on a engine just fine , no problem there .
#2 i have a full engine and clutch sponsership :)
#3 i will be quit racing when they scrape up my carcass of the track !!!!!!

Um no its not, I was racing the clone when they were still stock, the clones now are the way motor builders want them, they saw a decline in profit's from flatheads so they moved to the next engine in line
I don't know of any rich motor builders.

predator stock class and paint the whole motor to seal it.
:)

Shift Jimmy at J&M done it right for years, he knew the spec's on the engine, he didnt post them, then someone posted spec's and the engine wars were on.
Keep the predator just like it comes out of the box, and all the internal stuff will be a waste

I know plenty that claim to not make any money, but one look at Todd Millers place tosses that out the window
Tod has a reputation for being able to get his customers around the track quicker than most, and there is a good bit more to it than just motors.

If you could get your customers around the track a tenth or two quicker than anyone else, folks would be lining up to give you their money.
Are you seriously blaming Tod Miller for being smart and successful? :)

I don't know of any rich motor builders.

I can accept the fact that we are not getting rich is this sport, passion for it, but not getting rich and still having to work 14 hour days, its a tough business to be in! Here it is Sunday night and yep still in the shop..........LOL
By the way what is the definition of being rich anyhow...............maybe rich with things in life other than money is of real value!

Steve

i have found that if you do some research and purchase a tech manual and of course you have some mechanical skills that you can build your own engines with very little outside labor into them with machine work, you can be very competitive as well as win over alot of the top engine builders out there. its not all about the engines as we all know and i am not taking anything away from the builders its just I as well cannot afford a builder to build mine as well. any given night I can go out and domminate the feild with my own leagal engines. its chassis setup the right tires and drivers ability.

I can accept the fact that we are not getting rich is this sport, passion for it, but not getting rich and still having to work 14 hour days, its a tough business to be in! Here it is Sunday night and yep still in the shop..........LOL
By the way what is the definition of being rich anyhow...............maybe rich with things in life other than money is of real value!

Steve

Most people only dream of making a living doing something they truly love. Karting is something we all do because we love it. I know it's very hard to make a living by building kart motors or running a kart shop, especially on the local level. Anybody that can do that is rich in my book, regardless how much money they make. That's why I try to support my local kart shop whenever I can because I know every little bit helps.

The number of threads about costs is starting to multiply exponentially. I'm sure it has nothing to do with $129 clone motors having morphed into $900+++ clone motors. As I said in another thread it appears Pandora is out of the box and no one seems to be trying to put her back in. I'm going to check back in 5 years and see where clone racing is then.

Back