engine rebuild

TAM3THEBEAST

what parts and tools do i need to redo my 206 head, this will be my first time doing something like this so im a complete noob, any help is appreciated

Valve seat cutter or grinder . Valves are cheap enough just replace .
Lapping compound and tools . Spring compressor .
Valve guide install and removal tools if doing guides .
Tech tools to check anything thats in the rule book .
Typical hand tools .
Your much better off sending it out .

Unless it needs just a light lapping it's best to send it to professional. And I don't say that too often. I send ours out because even if you buy the cutter to cut the seat you risk ruining the head if you are too aggressive.

Not to discourage the DIY'er, because that's really what karting is all about....but, what these guys said is very true. And even if you save a few bucks ($100 labor and machine work for a complete rebuild through our shop) you still will likely want it tuned on a dyno to make sure you are making good power.

I would say that the most important thing is that you really understand the rules well, and that you have the right tools -- especially a quality inch pounds torque wrench. Remember, you can always send just the head out to have the seats done correctly.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Tools are one thing but the skill it takes from years of experience should be considered. Of course you can buy the tools and learn how to use them as any man then, with all that time and money, you'll want to do a few engines for other people. You'll be half way into a kart engine business if that's a road you want to travel. For me it's been a great satisfaction to control every aspect of the racing prep and to help my friends but I'm in it for the long haul. Most are out in 3-5 years.

One bit of advice is to tighten the spark plug extra tight so when the aluminum gets hot you can pull the exhaust seat a little more than normal towards the spark plug. Stock up on the extra coarse lapping compound so you have enough to get that dip out of that extra hard exhaust seat and also make it perfectly round again!!!
;)

One bit of advice is to tighten the spark plug extra tight so when the aluminum gets hot you can pull the exhaust seat a little more than normal towards the spark plug. Stock up on the extra coarse lapping compound so you have enough to get that dip out of that extra hard exhaust seat and also make it perfectly round again!!!
;)
I take it this is sarcasm? You shouldn't overtighten the spark plug?

Back