Engine shipping

Konger10

What is out there for shipping my clones back to builder to get refreshed. Looking for other options than the cardboard box they came in

6 gallon bucket maybe .
Plywood and 1/2's.
Double or triple cardboard . Glued up with a glue gun . Put it in a plastic bag . Give it a couple shots of spray foam or pack tight with some type of Styrofoam.

What ever you do do not use a briggs motorsports bin to shipp with. I have had 2 engines mysteriously dissaper in ups.
That was a popular problem back in the day for sure....Today, people value those crates so much that I don't think anyone is using them to ship...and the freight companies charge extra if it's not in a cardboard box.

OP,
The Briggs LO206 boxes work GREAT for shipping (they would surely work well for a clone due to the similar size/shape.)
Other than that, box in a box is what I suggest. Plenty of crumpled newspaper and cardboard in packing.

NO styrofoam peanuts!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Styrofoam peanuts are awesome!

They get in places they don't belong and honestly they serve as very minimal protection to something with a weight such as an engine.

Bolt the engine to a piece of plywood. Then set in box and wrap with garbage bag. Then use some cans of "great stuff" foam and fill the voids. Dont do too much at once or itll never set up. Then youll have styrofoam contoured around the engine for a tight fit

I have used the square blue Igloo coolers to ship dirt bike motors. They protect the motor well and can be bought at Walmart for about $20

Go to Lowe’s. They sell a black-yellow tote and they have a card board box that the tote will fit in. Put a piece of plywood in the bottom of tote, pack around the motor with some old towels. Put the lid on it and zip tie it, write your info on the lid. Put tote in the box, pack some shipping material around it. There is enough room to put header and chain guard on top of tote lid. Tape up and ship. It provides some hard shell protection around the motor. It’s how I ship our motors and shipping companies don’t nail you with the tote handling charge.

Brian,
Just curious- Why "NO styrofoam peanuts!"
Michael
Unless they are bagged separately, they get everywhere and with the way some engines are shipped dirty, the styrofoam dissolves with the oil mist that is on the engine and makes an even bigger mess.
Unboxing an engine shipped in peanuts is a disaster as well = peanuts everywhere!

Then there's the fact that they do little to cushion an engine in shipping - they simply fill space until they are compacted when the engine shifts in the slightest. Totally worthless for shipping engines in my opinion. ;)

Bolt the engine to a piece of plywood. Then set in box and wrap with garbage bag. Then use some cans of "great stuff" foam and fill the voids. Dont do too much at once or itll never set up. Then youll have styrofoam contoured around the engine for a tight fit
The plywood is a great idea -- just be sure to use studs or thread inserts so the plywood can stay in place and the engine be removed from the box. AND 2 short bolts are plenty -- you don't need 4 to hold it in place for shipping. If you've got to pull the plywood and unbolt the engine from both sides of the plywood, it can be a real pain to remove (and reinstall back into the same (now crumpled) cardboard box used in shipping.

Expanding foam: This is not a bad method - BUT, one caveat....Take the time to CUT the spray foam into several blocks to easily remove them. THEN, label them and repackage before shipping it to your engine builder. Otherwise, the receiver of the package will have to cut the foam to get to the plastic bag and engine inside. Replacing a bunch of random chunks of foam in the same order they came out can be like a 3D puzzle.

When shipping, try to make life for the recipient as easy as you can.

35 years of seeing just about every method for engine shipping and shipping disasters. ;)
-Brian

Last edited:
Go to Lowe’s. They sell a black-yellow tote and they have a card board box that the tote will fit in. Put a piece of plywood in the bottom of tote, pack around the motor with some old towels. Put the lid on it and zip tie it, write your info on the lid. Put tote in the box, pack some shipping material around it. There is enough room to put header and chain guard on top of tote lid. Tape up and ship. It provides some hard shell protection around the motor. It’s how I ship our motors and shipping companies don’t nail you with the tote handling charge.
Well thought out and I suspect it makes it without damage and has been used several times over. The initial investment could be well worth it. ^^ This works.

Back