Engine skip

12xracer

I recently had a predator start skipping on me mid race. Around 4200 rpm. Only 70 laps on the motor. Plug looks good. Thinking coil? Any other ideas?

Was it happening after the engine made some laps and got up to temperature? Usually when you have one doing that, it is the coil, which is common with these engines. Swap to a Honda gx160/gx200 coil and it'll not likely happen again. Have had alot better luck with using the Honda coil along with an aftermarket plug boot and wire like what you see on some V8 engines, a msd boot and wire will work fine and has no resistor in the boot like the stock ones do.

Could be coil, or resistor in the plug boot, could be too lean/hot, could be the gas tank not venting and building up a vacuum making it harder to draw fuel.

At the rpm your running, I assume its a box stock engine, or is relatively stock? Still have the governor and low oil sensor? If so make sure the low oil sensor is unhooked, its the yellow wire on the front of the block, you can just unplug it from the rest. Unplug kill switch also while you are trying to figure out the problem, to rule it out

Back