Engine stays running with coil grounded

thebigo

Clone engine will not shut off with the kill switch. I shorted the thin wire from the coil to ground and still stays running. Pulling the spark plug wire is he only way to shut it off. So I checked continuity from the wire's tip to ground and beeps (audible on). Checked continuity from the wire's tip to the coil's metal body and it beeps. Even took the coil off the block and checked continuity from tip to coil body and get continuity. So why will it not shut off?

You have too ground the post on the coil .
The 1/4" spade lug .
Any wire connected to the coil body will go too ground when on the engine .

Throw that $.99 kill switch in the garbage and pull the spark plug boot to shut it off. Nothing like a switch ruining your race.

You have too ground the post on the coil .
The 1/4" spade lug .
Any wire connected to the coil body will go too ground when on the engine .
I did bypass the switch and as already mentioned, I grounded the thin coil wire at the 1/4" spade lug to the motor, but it did not shut off. So I checked continuity of that wire to coil body (the multi layer metal laminate) for a bad connection at the spade and checked good. BTW it's a brand new coil. What else can I check before I replace the coil?
As far as the other suggestions, the new switch is grounded and checks out good by audible ohms. Taken out of the circuit for testing direct coil grounding.
Appreciate the feedback.

That pretty well covers it . If grounding that spade lug to the engine dosent do it . Then a new coil is in order . Although thats quite odd .

That pretty well covers it . If grounding that spade lug to the engine dosent do it . Then a new coil is in order . Although thats quite odd .
I agree with flattop 1. New coil is in order. When that lug is grounded it cuts off the current to the coil? I can't see how it could check out OK and then fail. But obviously it does.
Anything on a clone engine is capable of being bad from the factory. Only good thing is parts are cheap. But then again when is cheap the best way to go in racing.

I agree with flattop 1. New coil is in order. When that lug is grounded it cuts off the current to the coil? I can't see how it could check out OK and then fail. But obviously it does.
Anything on a clone engine is capable of being bad from the factory. Only good thing is parts are cheap. But then again when is cheap the best way to go in racing.
Mystery solved. But as fast kat wrote (bold), I agree with that comment. So I put my old coil back in and the engine DOES stop running. So in case you guys think like me and suggest that maybe it had a bad connection and putting he old coil in, made the connection, I put the new coil back in and sure as s@#t, kept running. Finally replaced it with the old coil again and all is well again. Go figure. Thank you flattop1, One Fast Kat and others for the input.

Back