Engines?

Ratistiss

I have heard that not all engines are built alike. I was talking with someone the other day and they said its a fine balance between durability, the rules, and maximizing for power. Curious if you all think that is or isnt true.

Absolutely true although in the clone world I would say the balance of rules and power are where the emphasis is. Some builders make them so close to legal tolerance in certain areas that it would be a good idea to have it rebuilt after a few weekends. A builder can build 10 engines to the exact same specs and 2 of them may dyno much better to the others for whatever reason.

The durability issue comes from the fact that at the end of the day, they are all Chinese parts and can break without notice no matter who made the engine.

So what is the best way to find the faster motors?
There are "indicators" that engine builders look for. Valve seat location, slight variations in castings (specifically intake port, bowl, and combustion chamber,) better flowing carbs, max stroke cranks, lighter weight valve train components, and more. Even taking all the best individual parts doesn't guarantee that the engine will outperform all similar builds. A dyno is the best way of comparison. The more engines you have to compare, the better your chances of getting one that stands out from the crowd. Of course, that gets real expensive for the racer wanting the best of the best.
Some builders sponsor house drivers with their best engines. Some charge a premium for national level engines. Don't be surprised though if the very best engine doesn't help your race program. I know for a fact that some of the very best flathead engines ever to come across our dyno were ran by local Saturday night guys and we had average motors that graced the national stage podiums over the years. Karting is so much more than just motor, BUT it is helpful to know that you've at least got a fighting chance when you shop up to the track.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

There are "indicators" that engine builders look for. Valve seat location, slight variations in castings (specifically intake port, bowl, and combustion chamber,) better flowing carbs, max stroke cranks, lighter weight valve train components, and more. Even taking all the best individual parts doesn't guarantee that the engine will outperform all similar builds. A dyno is the best way of comparison. The more engines you have to compare, the better your chances of getting one that stands out from the crowd. Of course, that gets real expensive for the racer wanting the best of the best.
Some builders sponsor house drivers with their best engines. Some charge a premium for national level engines. Don't be surprised though if the very best engine doesn't help your race program. I know for a fact that some of the very best flathead engines ever to come across our dyno were ran by local Saturday night guys and we had average motors that graced the national stage podiums over the years. Karting is so much more than just motor, BUT it is helpful to know that you've at least got a fighting chance when you shop up to the track.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Yes, that fighting chance is what we are looking for.

Tires, tires, tires, and setup. When the tires and setup are right it will seem like you have two motors
Yes, we have nailed this a couple times this last year and our Jr. sportsman screamed. In the new class we are moving up to the competition is tougher so I figured why not work on getting every competitive advantage. Running solely on asphalt this year so I was thinking about trying a set of flat cut tires, do you have any thoughts on that?

Yes, we have nailed this a couple times this last year and our Jr. sportsman screamed. In the new class we are moving up to the competition is tougher so I figured why not work on getting every competitive advantage. Running solely on asphalt this year so I was thinking about trying a set of flat cut tires, do you have any thoughts on that?
Who is your engine builder now? Are you not satisfied with what you currently have?

Is anybody ever satisfied?? If your not looking for more ,your just settling! I race against some guys that just settle and they suck to beat cause I know the little effort they put out

Even sadder to be beat by those people.
I am only a little over a year in to turning a wrench let alone racing, so I must not be able to tell who those people are. Well that or I am just too busy on race day to notice. Either way ignorance in that is bliss, LOL

Cut and thin.

Not unsatisfied, just trying to figure out how to improve for better performance
Understood, and that's a great mentality to have. Best advice I can give is find an engine builder you can trust to build you an engine capable of winning and form a relationship with them. Based on your location I'd say give Shane at SDR Racing Engines a call.

Last edited:
I have plenty of thoughts on that, but we would need to know what you are trying to accomplish, first. Are you looking to build heat quicker, dissipate heat quicker, free up the kart, gain some roll speed? Thinner, flatter cuts may be the way to go, especially on bigger momentum ovals. If you are trying to gain sidebite for a slick sealed bull ring track, thin and flat could actually hurt you. We cut Vega Yellows (and other brands) for pavement oval racing for a lot of customers. If you know what you are trying to accomplish with your chassis on your track, we can definitely cut a set of tires that will help you. We also have a pretty good database of tracks to work from if you are unsure where to start.

There's definitely speed in tires - everyone is aware of that. Make sure your engine is at least up to par as well. If your current engine builder dow not dyno tune your engine, there's now way of knowing where you stand (at least in comparison to other engines he has built and dyno'd previously.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407