"Entry Level" Open class

Just a comparison.......

UAS Weight Minimums:

100cc Piston Port - 170lbs.+1lb./cc = 270lbs.min.,
100cc Reed or Rotory - 230lbs.+1llb./cc = 330lbs.min.,
Flathead 206 to 500cc - 190lbs.+1lb./3cc = 259lbs. to 357lbs.,
OHV 190 to 500cc = 200lbs.+1lb./2.5cc = 276lbs. to 400lbs.,

I like the weight structure of the UAS because it eliminates the lead-sleds. A 13 year old fly weight racer in a 100cc piston port would be a potent package and could easily compete with large 15 year old on a Reedjet.

If adults wanted to compete with the Juniors they would have to sign a waiver of bad behavior and be in their good behavior mode.

DK

Don't know where Kent's thread went, but Kent Hollifield runs a series with rules similar to what we're discussing on SC....I've run with them, and it's a nice series. Their rules are online somewhere and might be a good starting point.

My suggestion would be to follow the UAS's lead on being inclusive AND simple tech. In the Sportsman All-Stars class we used to run there was a cc limit and a max bore on the carburetor. I'll tell you that the Animals were FLYING while breathing through a .650" straw.

Simplicity was the reason I suggested the KT100 if it looks like a KT it must be a KT.
I also feel the claimer rule would possibly keep the "engineering" to a minimum.
Maybe as suggested limit to 110cc 2 Stroke and 220cc 4 stroke, (odd numbers to allow for overbore).
No power adders, no Nitro
Pick a weight and claimer dollar amount.
Make it simple and easy for new blood to get their feet wet in 2 stroke oval racing.

The 2 strokes are alive and well in roadracing but those packages START around $2500 for an engine.

The KT100 does keep it simple and it keeps the cost down. Way cheaper to build a KT that will put out 22HP than it is an Animal etc. Agreed also that it makes tech easy.

Just sayn.

Hoppy
Simplicity was the reason I suggested the KT100 if it looks like a KT it must be a KT.
I also feel the claimer rule would possibly keep the "engineering" to a minimum.
Maybe as suggested limit to 110cc 2 Stroke and 220cc 4 stroke, (odd numbers to allow for overbore).
No power adders, no Nitro
Pick a weight and claimer dollar amount.
Make it simple and easy for new blood to get their feet wet in 2 stroke oval racing.

The 2 strokes are alive and well in roadracing but those packages START around $2500 for an engine.

My suggestion would be to follow the UAS's lead on being inclusive AND simple tech. In the Sportsman All-Stars class we used to run there was a cc limit and a max bore on the carburetor. I'll tell you that the Animals were FLYING while breathing through a .650" straw.

I agree with this 100%. Develop a Junior UAS series and invite innovation. Make it not a series for affordability but again a series to develop UAS racers. If folks want bottom barrel racing let them drone around in their clones. And besides; if you have a 115lb. 13 or 14 year old what could be more affordable than a KT100. At 285lbs. he or she will be affordable and fast.

DK

How much innovation do you need to make a 120lb kid go fast? Save the "engine" innovation and keep the cost down and you can "possibly" make this work. A Yamaha at 320lbs is going to be pretty quick. The innovation could be from aerodynamics. A tweak to your wedge here or there would be important to finding ways to keep the kart planted.

Also a Yamaha is about the price of a good clone! One makes 10 HP and the other makes 20! Both will last a season without to much maintenance.

Just sayn.

Hoppy

What does it take to "tech" a stock Yamaha KT100? Or are you talking about running them as "open" with only a cc check? Admittedly I know very little about these engines.

What does it take to "tech" a stock Yamaha KT100?

Actually quite a bit, head cc, ignition, cylinder specs, port specs, intake lengths and no-go's if you use IKF or WKA rules. Tech for one engine type is tuff, let alone 5 different types, this why weight and cc works for UAS and could work very well for a Jr. UAS class.

DK

In my orginal post I stated the the KTs would not be stock for long, (if they ever were) cc check and carb throat diameter, plus the claim rule (should) make it simple.

I think a claim rule would meet a lot of resistance in the UAS community. I suspect this hypothetical class would have a lot of crossover (families, teams, etc.) with the UAS participants.

Big power jump from 18-20 hp to 50+hp

true but thats what a lot of racers have to do. race limited or a small block open then move to a true unlimited. in my area there is not enough support to have 3 or 4 different modified classes. so what else would you do?

Keith Freber at Margay has a stockpile of Euro5 spec DAP T-85 air cooled reed valve engines for $500 NEW!!!! 2 cycles are NOT expensive. OR at least don't HAVE to be. And there's plenty of $300-$600 2 cycle 100cc engine on eBay and other places every week. They can usually be freshened with still available IAME parts with no issues... Plus new KT-100's are $700 and can be modified by the builder of your choice for another $500-700. $2500 as a figure to get into 2 cycle racing is absurd.

The cheapest would probably be to get 2 clones and freight train them -- approx. $400/ea. and another $300 for the mount and another $200 clutch. (Pricier than the 2 cycle and heavier too, but more torque.)

This class could be VERY cheap to run if the participants do their homework and the rules are sensible and simple.

Entry level to me would be a good sportsman class, consisting of any 100cc 2cycle, limited flathead and animal. It would be cool to see a sole Yamaha UAS Sportsman class, but where I'm at the numbers don't add up.

The KT100 does keep it simple and it keeps the cost down. Way cheaper to build a KT that will put out 22HP than it is an Animal etc. Agreed also that it makes tech easy.

As the tolerances get tighter and the classes get larger, the costs to build a nationals KT will skyrocket......... That is why a clone no longer costs $100. From what I've seen, the Arizona kart club has a class that mixes (based on engine formula) KT's, Clones, Animals, Flatheads and 206's. Each are weighted accordingly. IMO - this truly embraces the spirit of the UAS.

UAS JUNIOR
AGE - UP TO 17
BOX STOCK YAMAHA ONLY AND COMPARABLE STOCK 4 CYCLE
WITH WEIGHT BREAKS

UAS SENIOR
AGE - 18 UP
ANY STOCK OR STOCK APPEARING 2 CYCLE 100cc LIMIT
AND ANY COMPARABLE 4 CYCLE
WITH WEIGHT BREAKS, NO STROKERS

UAS UNLIMITED
AS IS TODAY

WHEN GRAND NATIONALS COME A ROUND