"Entry Level" Open class

The innovation could be from aerodynamics. A tweak to your wedge here or there would be important to finding ways to keep the kart planted.

You don't need a wedge a regular body works fine. I have a 100cc TT75 built as an open with big, alcohol carb, Q98 pipe, lots of compression and running on a jackshaft with a Tomar clutch. It is an absolute bull and handles like a dream even though the chassis is old and it has a non-wedge body. Total investment in this kart was about $2k and I ran it for years.

I'm sure there is a lot of equipment out there similar to this that Jr's would love to drive.

DK

True too what Hoppy said about the Yami reliability. But same can be said about most any piston port. I've also got an open Parilla rotary valve I've run for over 20 years on an enduro kart and only on it's 2nd oversize. Started it's life regularly run in the Florida Street Race Series. Can't do much better than that. ;)

Don't know where Kent's thread went, but Kent Hollifield runs a series with rules similar to what we're discussing on SC....I've run with them, and it's a nice series. Their rules are online somewhere and might be a good starting point.

I will have the support class at all of my races again this year .Already have a sponsor for 4 races will post rules later .If u need any info u can call me at 828 446 0606 Kent SCUAS

Would be interesting for ZIP, Mark Bergfelt, or any other UAS directors to weigh in on this idea. Kent already has.
What are your SCUAS rules for "Jr UAS".
The price I quoted for 2 stroke was a Lepord.

These are all great ideas and good points... I really think getting the younger generation fired up about the opens and the UAS will keep it going and help it grow. There is no greater family to race with across the country than everyone in the UAS!!!

Out here we have a class called Pro Stock and it is KT100's (pipe) and F200 4cycles. They are very evenly matched and adds a little variety and accommodates us guys who like to tinker. The class will be ran at the Holiday Classic at Phoenix and has a $500 purse both days. Even after all the crap IKF and WKA has pulled to get rid of the KT in favor of the more expensive Euro engines it is still the most popular 2 cycle around!

Mike

Years ago we ran a mix of FH ltd, WF, F200, KT100, Animal ltd, IKF PP, and IKF FH mod. All of these engines had engine tech and their own weight. We never had many more than 5 but all were different engines but it was always close racing. I know the down fall would be the tech, but we had someone there that could tech them all. Like Mike said they run the KT's and the F200' together, I believe you could work in the ltd's, PP, and the old mod's that might still be sitting on someone's shelf somewhere. I would not let the reeds and rotaries in unless you make them quite a bit heavier.JMO

UAS would be cool to be 3 classes. Junior 14-18, limiteds 16+, unlimiteds 18+. Put on 3 good shows for the tracks we visit.

I think you'll have to have a restriction on the carburetor size to make this work with 100cc reed engines because as Jack pointed out, 100cc reeds have been known to get over 40hp.

I like Logan's idea except rename the 16 & up class. When you bring your traveling series to a track that has a limited class you wouldn't believe the level of confusion you create with a class called "Limited Outlaws" or "Limited All-Stars" or anything of that sort. Ask me how I know. :)

I agree with Hoppy as well with Ted on using a pipe instead of a can. Yamaha's can be bad fast and plus there a lot of them sitting around collecting dust cause guys can't find a place to run them on the dirt......not here in Indiana anyway!

Well read all the post, don't think engine or tech is the problem. JMO the guy with the flag and the track owner is the problem, if they will teach the kids 16 and under how to race, they can and will be able to handle a Limited UAS class. Have seen so many tracks where the flag has came out due to a spin when none was needed. Seem them stop on the track to get a flag. The track and the flagman allow it. Now if you want this to work , stick to your guns on the weight, if you are light you loose, MAKE THEM POST THEIR WEIGHT

That gets back to the intent of the class; mentoring Junior UAS racers. Instructing them on what is expected of them on the track and enforcing it with fair officiating. Give thirteen to seventeen year old kids a chance to wrestle a 33hp TT75 and I would be willing to bet you would see some outstanding and respectful racing.

DK

Old habits are hard to break ! If they are 10yr's or older set them down and talk to them (without mom or dad ) if they have been racing before they will know what is expected of them. Teach them sportsmanship, just remimber it is eazier to learn how to win than it is to learn how to loose. Some adult classes should take note !!!!

Just a comparison.......

UAS Weight Minimums:

100cc Piston Port - 170lbs.+1lb./cc = 270lbs.min.,
100cc Reed or Rotory - 230lbs.+1llb./cc = 330lbs.min.,
Flathead 206 to 500cc - 190lbs.+1lb./3cc = 259lbs. to 357lbs.,
OHV 190 to 500cc = 200lbs.+1lb./2.5cc = 276lbs. to 400lbs.,

I like the weight structure of the UAS because it eliminates the lead-sleds. A 13 year old fly weight racer in a 100cc piston port would be a potent package and could easily compete with large 15 year old on a Reedjet.

If adults wanted to compete with the Juniors they would have to sign a waiver of bad behavior and be in their good behavior mode.

DK

No adults
This should not be a class for adults not to run the mx engines

No offense, but with all the talk of there already being too many classes...... Aren't there already plenty of Junior classes for them to run? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but to me the Junior attendance for a class of this nature may be slim in comparison to the "favored" 4 strokes classes that already exist.. JMHO

Back