"Entry Level" Open class

Exactly
It's not about the Jr. Class they are looking to keep the faster karts out so they can win
Just keep diluting the field till they can compete
I'm wanting to get in to the UAS before I do I'll have a kart to compete with the 450's and wankels

kking, my comment about adults was just tongue in cheek.

Probably the only way to see if a class like this would fly would be to take a poll of juniors to see if there is interest in a section of Bob's forum where they hang out. Might look into the success of a similar class being run in South Carolina.

Dk

The 3-stated classes will work!!! The promotor has to work with them, I like the term diluted that is what weekly racing has become. Now if and when you form this class,put the rules in stone this will drive the whinies out. Remember- The Best Not the Most !!!!!!!!!

I like the idea of a JR UAS class. Locally, and at many other places across the country, a 13-15 year old has to run a restrictor plate in their 5 HP Briggs engine, (ok some places run clones, some run animals, but you get the point.) At that same age, they can run an 8-900 HP dirt late model or sprint car (ya, and no restrictor plate.) With the cost of a competitive 600 (micro/mini-sprint) being the same as an entry level late model or sprint car, you can see why some of these kids are bypassing any intermediate steps and going straight into some serious HP (which they obviously are not prepared for yet.)
Now, while I like the idea of enough HP to overpower the tires and force the youngster to learn to actually drive (not "ride") a kart for the underage UAS crowd, I have to wonder what will keep these kids from driving the way they already do with tater diggers? At that age, testosterone kicks in and these kids think they are bullet proof. We've all seen it -- at most tracks the jr3 class is the roughest driving class all night and typically the leader gets crashed out (numerous times) before the checkers. Now give these kids some decent power and take a guess what will happen. Most tracks can't control the drivers (or parents) in these classes already. Like many of you, I'd love to see that all change, but saying that these kids just need a stern talking to...well, that ain't gunna cut it!. Maybe using the black flag once in a while -- but then again, tracks are so hard pressed for numbers that they don't want to make anyone mad, and thus the beating and banging continues to go on.
Next problem....If I am going to prepare a JR UAS kart, where am I going to be able to run it (other than nationals and regionals?) There simply are not enough races to train up a driver. At least with the adults, there are enough tracks now offering UAS, open, or run-whatcha-brung classes to get some valuable seat time. But even then, I see 2 or 3 opens on a non-point race. Unless you're in an area where there are already plenty of participants in the adult UAS class, I doubt that the JR class will catch on. We've all seen this with new classes in the past. (ie jr champ karts, restricted animal, JR 206, etc.)
I hear a lot of talk about spec 2 cycle engines and limiting to one particular engine package -- I think this is a bad idea. One of the greatest advantages that the UAS has going for it is engine diversity. Karting has always been a sport for "tinkerers" and I think Mark B. hit that nail on the head when he put the UAS deal together.

Realistically, my driver is a couple of years away from this anyhow, so at this point, we're just observers of how this could transpire. Definitely interested to see the direction this class could go. I'm really not looking forward to putting him in Jr3 gold, a costly 600, OR the big car sitting in my driveway anytime soon. :)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back