"Entry Level" Open class

At the risk of opening up the can of worms.
In the old forums there was talk of how to get new blood into the UAS/Unlimited stream.

A thought I have is to use the KT100 with a can, maybe a claimer rule $$ to be determined.
Claim $$ should be high enough to let the one being claimed to at least be able to start gathering engine parts or at that time think about moving up to Unlimited.
We all know none of these would be stock for long but the can would be the limiter.

I have seen claimer rules go to hell and I have seen them work.

Also in the KT class maybe start at 16 years old instead of 18.

Thoughts?

No cans....use a pipe. They sound better and the new spec pipe is the same power level as the can.
And I'd just run a 100cc class -- it's common and there's already a ruleset -- look up the SCUAS sportsman class.
I'd allow the stock-appearing clones and open flatties too.

In 1973 a thirteen year old could get their IKF open license. Today, thirteen year old kart racers are bored to death droning around in clones of any class (an IKF Jr1 KT100 racer is faster). These young people are outstanding racers and a Jr. UAS class structure should mimic UAS rules with a 100cc 2-stroke limit and 206cc 4-stroke limit.

They need leadership in racing respect from UAS adults and the black flag should be present and used. UAS Adults should be what Jr.'s want to be. Brave, respectful and tolerant.

I am passionate about this; Jr. UAS should run with a nose on the kart and Adult UAS should remove the nose and run front open wheel. It would certainly stop the bullcrap driving that is so prevalent these days and put the drivers in the seats.

DK

An entry level class to UAS is a good idea. Its a big step to go from a box stock or limited to a 131 Sudam. A 100 cc class is a good place to step up to before going the unlimited route.
An open clone or animal is close in horsepower to the 100 cc engines so perhaps include them also. Also the Yamaha is a very affordable package for most karters and they are widely available. Just sayn.

Hoppy

KT's shouldn't be the only ones. There are plenty of motors out there. Reedjets, TT75's and others. There is a variety of 4-strokes too. Let the Jr. UAS be just as innovative as the UAS. The kids can handle it.

DK

It's not just the kids it would be nice to have a place to run some of the older uas type engines that are not competitive anymore ( open briggs, animal, clone, star ect.) I imagine there are a lot of us out there that like the opens but can't afford a wankel or 450 yammie .

I'm opening the Florida all stars up to 16 and older given some racing credentials. I believe we need the youth in the open class. They won't be bored that's for sure.

Entry level opens

Agree with you Don. take off these big noses they now use for battering rams and bring back the respect for racing open wheel.

Some of you guys need to know that although there were at 1 time there were a big choice of 100 c.c. engines out there, today much of any exsisting parts supply have dried up, like no longer available, except the KT-100, it's still around and parts are available, also, just because those engines were all 100c.c.'s, there was by no means any parity at all, a Reedjet will destroy anything else at that size.

Reedjet will destroy anything else at that size.

Sure at equal weights, but the UAS structure does a good job of equaling that out. Get a KT close to the 270lb. minimum and a TT75 at it's 340lb. (guess) limit and that could put them on par. Built Animals and Predators might be right there too.

The point is to engage the young racers and build a strong feeder class for the UAS.

DK

Here you go: UAS engine rules except:

single carburetor
add 60 lbs. to the base weights
no NOS
no forced induction
methanol, gasoline, and/or ethanol only
no engines allowed with a minimum weight over 410 lbs., no OHC's.

This eliminates Sudams, 390's, etc. allows 100cc reedjets at 390 lbs., 100cc yamahas at 330 lbs., Briggs flathead at about 320 lbs., 206cc OHVs at 363 lbs., 305cc OHVs at 402 lbs. (If I did my math right.)

Might need a little base weight tweaking, but adding 60 lbs. to the UAS minimums and then knocking out anything that would have a minimum weight over 410 lbs. gives us something to work with, doesn't it?

Back