Ex threads ?

dave269

Has anyone filled in the threads on the exhaust to help increase flow ? We have no tech issues in this area. Is it worth it any what can be used that will handle the heat ?

Search for a flat head exhaust insert. I think I still have a new one from back in the day, They are made out of aluminum and screw into cleaned out threads.

Searched for one a couple months back, nobody had them anymore. So, I made my own insert. Got a threaded pipe stub, cut off the threaded part needed after threading it into the exhaust port & marking it, then ground down with a dremel till it fit in the exhaust port. Came out great! Helped a little on the low end, but a minor change. The stock Briggs exhaust port is a little large if you're using a bolt-on pipe, rather than a threaded one.

Go to your local small engine shop and buy one of those cheap screw in mufflers,measure where you need to cut it. like what Moto said.....

Searched for one a couple months back, nobody? had them anymore. So, I made my own insert. Got a threaded pipe stub, cut off the threaded part needed after threading it into the exhaust port & marking it, then ground down with a dremel till it fit in the exhaust port. Came out great! Helped a little on the low end, but a minor change. The stock Briggs exhaust port is a little large if you're using a bolt-on pipe, rather than a threaded one.

I've got them on the shelf. Coulda saved you a bundle of time and effort. ;)

That's alright, what you did is exactly what I would have done before these came available.
I've never had much success with the hi-temp epoxies that are available.
Yes, an exhaust reducer will def. help as the ex port is considerably too large for the seat size, even with bigger seats and big cam we will install a port reducer.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I've got them on the shelf. Coulda saved you a bundle of time and effort. ;)

That's alright, what you did is exactly what I would have done before these came available.
I've never had much success with the hi-temp epoxies that are available.
Yes, an exhaust reducer will def. help as the ex port is considerably too large for the seat size, even with bigger seats and big cam we will install a port reducer.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Cool. What do you charge for them?

Aftermarket, machined from billet 6061 aluminum.

Price would be a better question for Sarah if want to give her a call at the shop tomorrow.
Maybe $10-$11? It's been so long since we've actually sold one that I don't remember. I still use them myself occasionally, so I haven't tried to dump them from current inventory.

Back