excel gear hub install

sho900

which way do i install a excel 4 bolt floating hub? with the axle screw on the left or right side? and for the 4 bolts
should they face (point) to the right rear tire or the left... I'm totally confused on which way is the correct way.

The chain guide video has the set screw on the left .
It's in the instructional videos on PRC site .

Set screw goes on the left, also bolts go in from the left point to the right rear tire. Be careful to not over tighten the set screw!. run collar braces on both sides.

Set screw goes on the left, also bolts go in from the left point to the right rear tire. Be careful to not over tighten the set screw!. run collar braces on both sides.
Why would you point the bolts to the right rear tire ? Gives way less room for gear changes. heck I couldn't even pop the guard off if ours were mounted that way, it would hit the frame.

Why would you point the bolts to the right rear tire ? Gives way less room for gear changes. heck I couldn't even pop the guard off if ours were mounted that way, it would hit the frame.
Everyone can do as they please. Personally I prefer to run the way I posted. I never run gear guards! So I don't have that problem. Plus my rear gear is never over 66 and has over an inch clearance between the gear and frame . Rear gear never hits the track or dirt if I get off the track. So my chain never comes off. But different situations call for different setups.

let me try to ask again.. i have a new floating excel 4 bolt hub.... and i have the microfiber gear guard as well.... now trying to install it all I'm having trouble with the correct order... do you start building the gear guard then, gear, then guard? one side of the guards have the spacers.
please help race is tomorrow. a picture would be like a thousand words

would go from right to left guard, hub gear gaurd, , the onw guard should have to built in spacer that goes on left side, i could be wrong but that should be it

OK i put on starting from right to left....... gear guard with spacer, gear, floating hub, gear guard, nut... is this correct??? thank you in advance
i will be back in 2 hours wife got a hold of me.

OK i put on starting from right to left....... gear guard with spacer, gear, floating hub, gear guard, nut... is this correct??? thank you in advance
i will be back in 2 hours wife got a hold of me.
I dont have an Xcel hub, but I would think it's the same principle as any other. The only thing that sounds wrong is that you should have the nuts on the same side as the gear so that you can change gears without removing the bolts. If you can't get the gear off with it being on the right side then flip the bolts around and put the gear on the left. Whichever side you put the gears on is the side you use the gear guard with spacers on, it spaces the gear guard away from the gear for your chain to ride. I hope I didn't completely misunderstand your question.

I dont have an Xcel hub, but I would think it's the same principle as any other. The only thing that sounds wrong is that you should have the nuts on the same side as the gear so that you can change gears without removing the bolts. If you can't get the gear off with it being on the right side then flip the bolts around and put the gear on the left. Whichever side you put the gears on is the side you use the gear guard with spacers on, it spaces the gear guard away from the gear for your chain to ride. I hope I didn't completely misunderstand your question.
Thats the problem i have.... to change gears i would have to remove the bolts from the hub and i know thats not the right way. from Left to Right the order is nut, guard, gear, hub, gear, guard ( with spacer ) bolts...... the set screw for the hub is on the left side.....

Normally the guard with the spacers goes next to the gear. The one without the spacers goes against the hub. The hub provides the proper spacing so both sides of the gear has the clearance needed for the chain. When we use two guards, we install the guard with no spacing on the right hand side of the hub first (looking at the kart standing at the rear). Our hubs have threaded holes and we install the bolts into the hub (thru the guard) from the right hand side. Then, the gear goes on the left hand side of the hub. Install chain on gear. Next install the guard with the spacers and install the nuts on the left hand side. Tighten and go racing.

Thats the problem i have.... to change gears i would have to remove the bolts from the hub and i know thats not the right way. from Left to Right the order is nut, guard, gear, hub, gear, guard ( with spacer ) bolts...... the set screw for the hub is on the left
Take the bolts out 1 at a time and put them in from the opposite side. That will put the nuts on the same side of the hub as your gear and will work fine.

Back