Excessive heat

Had a flathead run hot this weekend, triesd pouring more fuel to it and it didn't cool downlike 420 head temp. I have beenbtold that I may have wrppes to close to the head, also have same issue with my limited both have header wraped almost all the way to the flange. Could this be my culprit?

I've always been told 400was about as high as you wanted to run a stocker, wasn't to worried about the limited, but its just a toy and only hit 410 after a long run. I just didn't want to hurt my stocker..

The age old solution is free your set up with tires.If you are good on your set up then start looking for issues with your engine.That temp is a little high but if you are running competitive up front I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Leave the first 2-3" of the header (nearest the port) unwrapped.
I doubt that your wrap caused any of the heat issue you are seeing.
Car set-up, jetting, ignition timing, spark plug heat range, any tape on the flywheel screen, pipe length and diameter all contribute to heat in an engine.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Setup was almost dead on, ran front and mid pack. Normally seeing this temperature to me means its lean, I opened the jet almost all the way so I may heed a bigger jet for hot days. Also engine was under wide open throttle for 90% of the race, but engine was shy on rpm by about 500 of what I was stold to run.

Both engines ran hotter than usual ? If you went richer and they still ran hotter ? Take a look at your fuel, may have a little water in it.
BTW, engines require a leaner mixture in the hot summer and a richer mixture in cool dense air. Like the automatic choke on Grandma's 62 Chevy in the winter time. LOL A Briggs FH on alky at 425* cylinderhead temp will still only be 250* or less oil temp. Keep the exhaust gas temp on the stocker 1200* to 1250* summer and winter and she's fine.

WP

Setup was almost dead on, ran front and mid pack. Normally seeing this temperature to me means its lean, I opened the jet almost all the way so I may heed a bigger jet for hot days. Also engine was under wide open throttle for 90% of the race, but engine was shy on rpm by about 500 of what I was stold to run.
This is the absolute perfect reason for having an air density gauge. If the air density was down, you're gonna make less horsepower, which means less RPM.

Back