Exhaust sleeve for LO206

Hi All,

I am new to here and to the LO206 category but not new to karting. I am building an LO206 kart and with my new engine have been provided with an exhaust insulation sleeve as opposed to a wrap. Like below:

HS_922SCB__15920.1432041169.1280.1280.JPG

I am using the RLV 5507 type exhaust and bracket arrangement:

RLV5507.jpg

I would like some advice about the sleeve. Firstly. The Briggs website says to start the wrap/sleeve no less than 3 inches from the exhaust flange where it bolts to the cylinder head but I've seen a lot of LO206 engines with the wrap all the way up to the cylinder head, so which is correct?

Secondly, with the lower exhaust brace, the sleeve wont fit over that so can I just have no insulation between the 2 hose clips or shall I just put a slit in the sleeve for the bracket then tighten the hose clamps over the top of the sleeve?

Thanks in advance.

I'll venture to guess that the tuned length for that pipe was developed without the heat sleeve. If it was me, I'd call RLV and ask them how much it changes the tuned length when you install that sleeve.

Holding too much heat at the head is bad. Leave it 2-3 inches away from flange

sleeve above brace only. Don't worry about at brace or on muffler side.

You know it is always better to consult the rules rather than ask random opinions. From BS rules:
36. Exhaust Protection The exhaust header must be completely wrapped with a non-asbestos insulation material starting approximately 2 inches from the exhaust flange.

I would simply cut where you need to slip it over and around wire it as you would traditional wrap when needed.

I would make certain the braces are clamped to the pipe, not to the insulation, these new pipes are not breaking when installed properly. Take your time fitting it do not introduce stresses, and do not strip your head bolts.

2016 rule
36. Exhaust Protection
The header must be completely wrapped (360 degrees) with a non-asbestos,
approved insulation material or sleeve starting approx. 3 inches from the
exhaust flange but MUST extend to where the stock supplied RVL support
(welded or clamped) meets the header.

Copied and pasted from the 2016 rules.

Thank you K43 and Jimbo. I will cut the sleeve at the mount initially then sort out covering the rest of the pipe. I've already tapped the mounting bracket hole in the head and will carefully fit everything up tomorrow.

I had a sleeve like that on my Alky Animal..didnt last..got hot after a race or 2 and heat cracked and fell apart..use the old skool tape OR tape material sleeve.

Back