exhaust stripped

When you strip a HeliCoil you need to go to a larger OD insert, so, as stated above, Keensert is your next option. Follow One Fast Kat's recommendations.

^ Good advice - Same as we do here in the shop.
We've actually got two wall thicknesses (O.D.) of inserts that we use. Use the smallest OD that you can and still fix the threads.

Studs are a good alternative.
I'm kind of up in the air on that. Some like them, some do not. Turning the hex nut 1/6th of a turn at a time to change pipes is a bit of a challenge.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Studs are a good alternative.
I'm kind of up in the air on that. Some like them, some do not. Turning the hex nut 1/6th of a turn at a time to change pipes is a bit of a challenge.
I had to drill a big hole in one of my chain guards to tighten a nut. Couldnt get a wrench on it, and could barely get a socket on it.

I've used timeserts and have actually had them pre-installed on new cylinder heads I've bought. There is a proprietary kit for the timeserts which makes it expensive to do just 2 (but it was worth still it just to have one fewer thing to go wrong at the track).

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a bit pricey, But you will have a pretty much , permanent solution to your problem.I have used heli coils for years. If you put them in and very seldom remove the bolt or get them too hot they work fine. Until they wear out or you over torque them. The Keen sert will allow more torque. Because of the extra diameter and you use their high temp loc tite. Since they are steel you can remove and replace the bolt as often as you like.

If its to tore up they also make a stud that's 6mm on one end and 8mm on the other I think it was for VW. Could just drill and thread.

Back