Experience with Hoosier R80

Hi All

My series has switched our spec tires to Hoosier R80 (We run slightly modified clones few seconds slower than LO206 on road courses and ovals) . I had some questions.

How many races did they last in your experience and in what class?

What tire pressures did you like to use?

We used to used Kenda K404GX which lasted me 3/4 of a 22 race season (I run a lot of practice), the R80 has a higher durometer reading than the Kendas, but I know compound isn't the whole story in longevity of the tire.

Only difference i've noticed so far is that they are way tougher to mount lol, as I haven't been on track yet this season.

It’s the tire utilized for the margay ignite spec karts. They last a season for many without much change in performance. A good tire for what it’s used for.

We go though 4 sets a year of the Hoosiers R80 per kart (one of my karts got 5 sets last year 2021). The old Bridgestones, we only used 1 set per year. We run a lot. 10 races last year and we practice 2 days per event at least I would guess, some times up to 50-100 laps a day for practice. We run them to the chords. I would like to see a lot more life from them.

The Hoosier R80 is a pretty durable tire for what it was designed for.
Personally, I like working with the 60s MUCH better, but Margay Ignite series uses the 80s.
We've cut and prepped 80s for some customers and they've seen better results. Others have not seen much of a difference. I suspect this is somewhat track and temperature dependent.

Longer runs and increased tire temps will wear tires more than anything. Shorter runs, slower speed tracks, sealed track surfaces, etc. will wear tires less.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You don't cut them to change the sidewalls at all. I suppose you could change the profile of the shoulder some to lower the spring rate, but that's never been our intention. Just taking half the rubber off of them lightens them considerably, then it allows the tire to build heat quicker and dissipate heat quicker during the run for better (and more consistent) lap times.
Cut tires typically remain fast through several heat cycles after full rubber tires fall off.

Back