Extended frame thoughts?

Blakec9

Wanting to get some input on why people run extended frames on UAS karts. What advantages does it have or not have. Is it so they can run a longer body or does the chassis actually act differently with the chassis extended?

Does anyone have any input on running a longer body? I currently run the Seay body but have kicked around the idea of building a longer body. Are you actually seeing an improvement in handling when going to the longer body?

Backyard mechanic answers. ... :)

I "think" it's all about acceleration.
Longer chassis moves you more towards more acceleration.
Shorter chassis moves you more towards better quick/easier turning.

Longer more side wing in the back moves you towards the wind helping hold you in in the turns.

Longer back end means you have to get farther ahead of who you passed before your actually past them.
That's why race cars tend to be short as possible behind the rear wheels.

We altered a chassis specifically for slick tracks to be able to put as much hp to the track as we could.
What we did and the theory used worked and still works. ... :)
Made what I like to call a sort of B altered/dragster combo minor/radical alterations and hoped the thing would turn. ... :)
Same altered theories and a new not so obviously yet new and radical change hopefully will be shortly applied to chassis.

Any change you make MUST be to either increase acceleration or get you thru the a corner better.
Think about if what you want to do will help either.
Lastly you don't know what it will do till you >do it<. so try it

You would still be running heavy junk hard to adjust axle clutches if someone didn't try a jackshaft, dry clutch combo. ... :)

Last edited:
Added wheelbase would make a high horsepower kart less likely to spin. Look at Formula 1 cars, theyre stretched out as far as the rules allow, same as Indy cars.

We don't change wheelbase normally, some have and do. But extending the rails has other benefits. And yes, there are benefits.

IMO the longer body side gives you more side force surface. It also allows for more wing surface and to move it back which will give more downforce as it sits further back giving leverage.

Added wheelbase would make a high horsepower kart less likely to spin. Look at Formula 1 cars, theyre stretched out as far as the rules allow, same as Indy cars.
Yes and No. Depends on track. On enduro road racing a long wheelbase like on laydowns help a lot on fast turns but not on tight corners, so it will push badly on a small oval.

Yo rain Apple's and Orange's .The lay down enduro has a longer wheelbase . The UAS kart has the same wheelbase as always just a longer body normally from the rear tire back ( like mine) lol Chuck.

Most of the longer chassis in the UAS was so the exhaust pipe would not stick out past the body. The pipes on the larger engines were just too long (most were about 2"), so the quick solution was to extend the frame rails that distance. When we done this, we also cantered the side panels to kind of cover it up. When people would ask why we moved the panels at the top, we would tell them that it really helped in the corners. Really we didn't see a darn bit of difference. Remember, there is a hypothetical box the UAS kart has to fit in.

I haven't seen anyone actually extend the rails except Jordan Stotts and Wayne Felcy. What I have seen is the bumper tube extended several inches which pushes the bumper further back of course. UAS rules state the pipe, side panels and wing cannot extend past the bumper. Easy fix...move bumper back...lots of ways to do that.

Yo rain Apple's and Orange's .The lay down enduro has a longer wheelbase . The UAS kart has the same wheelbase as always just a longer body normally from the rear tire back ( like mine) lol Chuck.
Most cases yes, but there has been some frames built with a longer wheel base. Even some manufacturers tested them for stock classes some years ago and back them they were not considered legal by WKA on dirt but never seemed to be faster at most tracks, not even at longer tracks.

Back