Extra door bars on a champ??

Provff26

Quick question guys, i wa wondering if anyone has ever seen or even knows if its legal to put a door bar on a champ connecting the drivers side nerf bar to the outer(elbow height)roll bar. We had a few tbone wrecks at our track this year with some intrusion into drivers compartment. Im very wide framed and set far to the left for best weight dist. I cant afford a serious injury like broken ribs or pelvis because of work. I feel the nerfs bar can roll too easily when tboned and allow the pointed front end of another champ to come right in on you. Anyone ever see this? Id build the brace as a floating unit with either one or two extra verticals to keep another kart out

I dont currently have a copy of the full rulebook. still trying to figure out what and where to get one and which one to go by for tracks in my area. Its like finding atlantis i feel lol. I can almost be sure that there is nothing addressing the type of bars id like to implement. And i hope that the rulebook leaves some gray area if u are making a kart safer ya know?

When you add bracing you prevent the nerf bar from doing its job which is to absorb impact , you add a brace and the kart will be illegal
WKA has rule books that explain you can get them from WKA or large kart shops like TS Racing or JC Spec.

I dont know if its legal or not, but if you would happen to have an accident instead of just replacing a nerf bar you would have far more damage to the frame. Actually with that type of set up it might possible roll the champ over with a hard enough impact...Just something to think about

Thanks for the thoughts. I didnt think from that perspective. I would mount it much like a rocker has the cage mounted. With floating ends so the intended purpose(absorbing normal racing impacts) would still work. What i am worried about is a hard t-bone. From what i have seen the nerf bar lays down and almost makes a launch ramp right over the seat edge and into the drivers ribs. Luckily the wrecks i saw of this nature were on a short track at a slow enough speed the kart didnt come any further into the kart. But at some larger tracks i will run next year if you get tboned at even forty nvm the top speeds of sixty that they reach, i can see that kart getting itself way in on the driver

The nerf bar is designed to have a little bit of "give" in event of a side hit. Welding it to the side crash bar would be a bad idea

See my last post must have went up simultaneously lol. No welding would be involved. Id like to do two floating bars connecting nerf bar to crash bar. Only in the event of a t-bone would these actually have any effect

There's a possibility your nerf bar is .065 wall thickness. You could have one built to .083 mild steel - and made a little bigger. Shouldn't need any extra bracing. You could bolt a piece of race car plastic (tight) behind your left side panel - suprising how tough and resiliant it is - plus it is very flexible. Just some ideas.

I would be worried that if T-boning is a common thing at your track that - (they) aren't really doing a lot to keep everyone as safe as possible.

Its not all that common but its a tight 1/12 mi oval. Real fun and great racing. Its usually result of a bunch up in a corner. They are big on safety which is nice. Luckily the speeds here are slow enough that these wrecks havent amounted to anything but was just wondering on how to improve my own safety jumping up to some bigger tracks next year. I like some of the other ideas thanks guys

Its not all that common but its a tight 1/12 mi oval. Real fun and great racing. Its usually result of a bunch up in a corner. They are big on safety which is nice. Luckily the speeds here are slow enough that these wrecks havent amounted to anything but was just wondering on how to improve my own safety jumping up to some bigger tracks next year. I like some of the other ideas thanks guys

I'd suggest working on remedying the cause of you getting crosswise on the track........to be T-boned.
Continually moving forward is the best strategy for having a good race.

Id keep out of conversations when you have no good or logical input jmho. I guess youve never been to a race because accidents DO happen. Its racing! So ill disregard your post. Im simply looking for ideas on ways to make myself safer and other members of my family who race. I dont need my local track or driving ability bashed. Just want to be safer myself and hopefully someone else here can also benefit from this thread

Sorry for the rant wade. You said you put double sidebars on? Are you talking about on the crash bar or between nerf bar and crash bar? Ive seen the double height crash bars. My concern is the void between the crash barband nerf bar especially since the nerf bar rolls inward upon impact

Duck is one of the oldest mod's on this site, he was here when I came in 1998, so ill leave it at that.

When you add bracing and alter the function of the nerf bars ie adding bracing or making them out of thicker material, which is against the rules, the forces of the impact move along to the next thing that can absorb them, which is the driver

Maybe i took it the wrong way and i apologize if i did. But it was an unnecessary post i wouldnt expect esp if you are correct. And especially regarding safety.

I guess i may just be being a bit overly cautious here. I just see that portion of the kart as a very vulnerable part. My job security and peoples lives and property depend on my physical health. I would like to minimize my risk as much as possible.(i know being completely safe is impossible) I like your transfer of energy point of view and understand it. But if that nerfbar fails easily enough at low speed impacts... I guess what im getting at is Id rather take an indirect impact from the kart, frame, seat etc moving than a direct impact from the nose of another champ because my nerf by just laid down into the kart

If you are really that worried about it, maybe time to step away as a driver and just be an owner.
The crash's are more violent than you realize if its bending nerf bar's, remember what a champ weigh's sitting still, then add in 25 mph

When you add bracing and alter the function of the nerf bars ie adding bracing or making them out of thicker material, which is against the rules, the forces of the impact move along to the next thing that can absorb them, which is the driver

Is there a difference in champ kart nerf bars? Flat karts usually only have a minimum of .065 wall thickness. Maybe I'm confused, but I was just talking about nerf bars, not the sissy bars on the cage - in which then, yes you would have to consult the rules.

Back