Fhs oils

BrendanFitz#73

Mohawk Dawg
Considering switching from amsoils 4T to fhs. Which would be the better option their lightning modified or the 62r. Heard good things about both but read on the website the lightning modified was good for animals and is good for 20-30wt. The 62r is a a good 40wt.

Will be running on methanol which is the reason for considering the switch.

I'm genuinely curious if the heavier or lighter oil would be better for them. Builder had to get new crank because of bad pitting so I'm curious about oils now. I know the 4t is good stuff but it was designed specifically around the sealed 206 for gas use. I'm not sure of the alcohol mix ability and how it affects the engine.

Pitting on the journal ?
Rust is the thing i would suspect for pitting .
Out of round or scored would be , not enough oil cushion imo .

That's one thing I'm not fully understanding with how it got so pitted up. Possibly the alcohol mixed and attracted moisture which caused the rust but I'm also unsure if the amsoil has rust inhibitors which now that I think about it would be cancelled out by the alcohol mix. The guy whose building our engines is a respected 206 tech and said he's been hearing some odd stuff about the 4t and alcohol engines so idk. Everything is still up in the air.

Corrosion protection is one of its claimed benifits .
The alcohol may inhibit that .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-182014_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210527-182014_Drive.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 20
I bought an Animal from a guy who has been very successful in karting and knows a lot about engines. His advice to me was to run nothing but 62R in alcohol engines mainly because he never had oiling issues running hard with alky mixed in his oil. Always held up no matter how thin it would become. So, thats what i use too and I now have a number of alcohol engines, never a problem from oil breakdown. I wouldn't say there aren't others as good but I have never had the need to try others.

Thank you all for the info. Another thing with the 4t that I never seen with other oils is how black it got when it was time to drain it. When we ran Thor many years ago it never got that black. Usually it just thinned out and looked lighter because of the alcohol mix but the 4t just looks dirtier.

Don't know if this applies to you but I run 62R mixed with 70% nitro in model engines turning 40,000 rpm and never had a problem so, yeah it's good oil.

Are you guys flushing the fuel system after running the engine? Changing oil after the race? You all will probably laugh, but I put the fuel tank pickup in a liter bottle that has C12 and Marvel Mystery oil and run that till the alk is cleared out 'a the fuel system.

Back