fiberglass seat and paint

subbietjw

So my seat is do for some TLC.. It's getting old but still good with a few patch spots... Whats the best color and type of paint to use... Thinking like a semi gloss or flat black will show the least of my repairs?

How about the spray in truck bed liner? The extra texture should hide all the patchwork, and you wouldn't slide around in the seat anymore. Just a thought. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Joe

Spray in bedliner equals weight and may hinder the "flex" of the seat..

I've always used flat black engine paint from auto zone or advance auto.. Holds up well..

^^^^exactly^^^^. Also, how much weight could it possibly add? 'Most' people have to add weight anyhow. Thanks Brian for the insight. Joe

I know there are several types of bed liner spray. If using the rubberized and a light coat I can't see an issue as Brian stated. I purchased a kart awhile back which the guy sprayed the inside of the nose and the back of the seat with the thick, stiff, hard drying bedliner spray and both the nose and seat weighed a ton. When I scaled the kart the way it was and then with the body and seat I purchased, it was 20+ pounds difference. JMO and figured I'd share :cool:

Never thought of that, good to know. Just thought the spray can stuff on a seat can't add that much weight. Didn't mean any offense by it. Never thought of guys using it on the inside of the nose, always see spray foam. Thanks. Joe

I work for Epic Doors which manufactures high-performance fiberglass entry doors. We evaluated several paint suppliers including TruCoat 623, Sherwin Williams Polane 2K Acrylic, and Aquasurtech D200.

We were looking for an environmentally friendly, single component water based paint that was super durable, had great adhesion and laid down smooth.

Based upon our evaluation we selected TruCoat 623. It was much more environmentally friendly than Polane 2K and is a single component and TruCoat had better adhesion than D200 and was priced better.

Back