Filters

TAT

Do the filters that are ran on clones(k&n look a likes) need to be sprayed with k&n spray or are the suppose to be run dry? I'm talking about the kind you get from nrracing, box stock, eBay, Amazon. Thanks in advance to this ,I'm sure simple answer

Yes, but don't over do it, and give them a few days to dry.
Also use a pre- filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't have to be K&N, any filter spray will work, I use bel-ray

Thank you. That's what I've been doing but just got to thinking about it and couldn't get the thought out of my head.

Keep in mind that the cheaper pleated filters (S&B) use a paper element whereas the K&N use a cotton/remay element.

That paper will break down and clog up over time (washing, drying, re-oiling) restricting airflow, whereas the genuine K&N will continue to flow well even after being cleaned and re-oiled all season long.

Nothing wrong with the S&B filters as long as you keep this in mind -- replace them often and you'll have no problems.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Is there a cheaper pleated filter that yall recomend over another? Or better quality filter that yall like?

The k/n .
Otherwise there all knock offs.
Look in the carb throat after a race that will tell all the story .

Last edited:
The k/n .
Otherwise there all knock offs.
Look in the carb throat after a race that will tell all the story .

Not True. EC's filters were out before K&N, in fact im pretty sure EC told that
That's the filters we always used

True test is to put a thin film of oil in the front throat of the carb. Install filter in question and after the race look inside the carb as suggested by Flattop1.
That will tell you exactly how well the filter works.

A lot of people are surprised to find their filters do not work as planned. Replace them often with new filters. Properly oiled!

Not True. EC's filters were out before K&N, in fact im pretty sure EC told that
That's the filters we always used

Yes Ec. Too Quote .

Is this the whole story and all the trix? No, it's about 2% out of
one hundred. I just dont know how to give you all the possible combinations or mistakes and results that I have made. This would take a lifetime .
But just maybe I have turned on a few lights and given you a
Working platform to start with. If f have done that then this has been
two weeks of time well spent.

Yes Ec. Too Quote .

Is this the whole story and all the trix? No, it's about 2% out of
one hundred. I just dont know how to give you all the possible combinations or mistakes and results that I have made. This would take a lifetime .
But just maybe I have turned on a few lights and given you a
Working platform to start with. If f have done that then this has been
two weeks of time well spent.

Nice side step, K&N copied Birt

Ok Jamie , if they still make them then his are the ones to buy.
K/N is a knock off still the next best thing.

I learned my lesson the hard way. I will use nothing but K&N filters. I bought some cheapies from BMI and it cost me a motor. I didn’t even get a sorry let us try to help. K&N and an outerwears from that day forward and I now have dirt free carbs. (And cylinders)

Not saying one way or the other...but EC was a great story teller too, especially when he had a bottle in his hand. ;)
The man was the smartest "hillbilly" I've ever known, and a great salesman.

Are the EC filters made of cotton/remay? Are they patented? Maybe that's what K&N did differently, I couldn't tell you.

Either way, I'm not sure the debate of "who made what first" edifies the discussion put forth by the OP.

Thanks for all the info guys. It helps. I looked on k&n' site and man there are a lot of filters to go through! Lol

You don't have to spray them I know some front runners that don't they say that's what the engine builder is for, not recommending not to but just say n you don't have to.

Back