Finally got a Keurig- best coffee?

Bob Evans

Administrator
I love my coffee, and I drink it black, unsweetened. So far, the best tasting coffee I've found is McCafe.
I saw Amazon's house brand Colombian at a reasonable price and got excited, because Colombian is my all time favorite. Really disappointed, now I have 100 coffee pods that simply don't taste good.

Any recommendations?

Never made it to the Keurig deal -- I still drink waaaaay too much coffee and make it by the pot.
Farmers Brothers is my favorite cup of coffee. It's quite popular at restaurants here in the midwest and can be ordered online.
Folgers Breakfast Blend (very mild coffee which I make even more mild by weakening the mix amount) is always in the cabinet though.
That's what I don't like about the 1 cup deals is that you can't make them any weaker.
The brew quickness and 1 cup convenience sure is handy at hotels though!

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

I like 8 o'clock or Kroger Donut Shop Blend. Stop looking for deals, suck it up and buy what tastes good to you. No matter how you slice it
your still paying for the convenience. Keurig, Kroger and others have good sales from time to time, stock up when they have them to save $$$.

In the emptied'big' plastic powdered creamer can I mix two different instant coffee's.

Since the pods are so expensive I bought one of ever kind of instant coffee I could find and tried them even mixing different ones to find something I liked.

I settled on mixing Folgers house blend with Tasters Choice french blend or regular Tasters Choice.
I switch between the two. Tried all instants I could find and tried a lot of mixes and then one day I tried the above and after liking it I stopped looking for something else. With coffee once you find something you like you may as well stick with it.

It's less then $20 for the two and I use as heaping a teaspoon as I can and then add a little extra to the biggest cup the keurig makes.
if that's not strong enough you can push the middle cup size.

Keurig= worlds easiest coffee pot
With my instant blend only using it to heat water and cup size, it's even easier and cheap, yet tastes fine.
Lots of folks say they don't like instant but I found one mix that's ok for me.

... thinking of coffee i'll be baaaack.

Coffee is only as good as the extras you add to it.
No matter what brand coffee....if you put Hazelnut creamer in I'm spitting it out regardless. Enough French Vanilla will make any coffee taste good :D

black rifle coffee co. - Coffee or Die or AK47
Caribou Brand medium is good too. Straight up I tell the wife I like my coffee like my mistresses hot and black! 😂

Gevalia is good when you can find it on sale (and good tasting, otherwise too) and I like Starbucks, though it's pricey. Unfortunately, after being a barista a while, and drinking moderate amounts since, I've now developed a coffee sensitivity and can't drink more than 1 cup a day, with a meal, or it tears up my gut and causes internal bleeding. It also affects my vision. Not sure what changed, but I can't say that I like it -- coffee is my go-to comfort food.... But not something I want to die over. Back to brands....Ollies has off brands cheap, and some are quite good, but it's always a crapshoot...never when what they're going to have, and never know until you're into it whether it's worth buying. :) Good luck!

I've had the Keurig since Christmas, so I've experimented a bit.
I've got some refillable pods that work pretty good, mainly for the Folgers Classic that I need to use up.

Using the Select Model, with 6, 8, 10, and 12 oz. settings and also a Strong setting that lengthens the brew cycle. And I've found the Amazon coffee I was complaining about isn't too bad using the 8 oz, and Strong settings.
I'm not a coffee snob, but there's a certain flavor I really like out of a fresh cup of coffee.

It's all a lot more complicated than it used to be, when you just dumped a few scoops of coffee in the filter basket of a Mr. Coffee poured in the water and waited a few minutes. :)

Folgers Classic that I need to use up

You mentioned strong coffee. ... :)

A little slow going today.
Got up late and i'm heading out now to try for the first time to try making the second cup a 2 teaspoon cup.

If it works/tastes ok i'll be back on here again and again and again and again to tell ya bout it

What do you think the extra strong brew cycle does differently.

Sometimes to get a bit stronger tasting coffee i'll leave the pod my wife just used in it with my instant combo in the cup.
The pod runs only sort of dark for awhile and clears sort of quickly. That tells me which I'd expect that they put the least amount of coffee necessary in the k/cup. Making my instant combo sometimes of the instant Folgers/Tasters Choice along with water run through the once used k/cup does add to the taste. It adds in a way that makes it more like what i'd expect if I had a really strong cup of coffee somewhere.

... anyway off to make a heaping double teaspoon cup, ... wish me luck I for the first time watched a bit of the new try old food dummy program on tv last night and .....................

Last edited:
Two heaping teaspoons is too much strong coffee taste for me.

Heading back out to the kitchen to dump it only because it's too strong, not about the flavor or too much acid taste, only because it's too strong for me.

It's less then $20 to try. Dump a bottle of Forgers house and Tasters Choice in an empty Big Coffee Mate plastic can and shake it up to mix.
If you like it it's sure a heck of a lot cheaper then k/cups.

Cheap me instead of throwing it out took big gulps to make it go away quickly.

Funny thing is half way thru the cup it started to taste ok and I finished it off.
Now to see if my hands start shaking. ... :)

Bob, I love coffee, not a fan of those prepared cups though, they make good decent coffee but hate all the unnecessary plastic stuff and so, though you can always use the refill cups. I have every kind of coffee makers, French presses, Italian express for the stove, any kind you can imagine. One of my favorite place to travel is Portugal. Coffee is Portugal is a big deal, and every coffee shop you go other than cheap tries to give you the best cup you have ever had (that is if you like expressos, of course). NOw my favorite brands are Delta and Buondi, but more recently Nicola is even better. Hard to find in the US unless you go online, and they are pricey online. Here in the US you can find some of the good Italian brands, like Lavazza, Illy or Segafredo. Lavazza is easy to find in most grocery stores. Just make sure you get the best grind for your application. Do you have a refillable cup? If so send me a pm and I'll send you a pack of good coffee for all you do.

Back