Finally got a Keurig- best coffee?

Coffee, like karting can suck you in. I have a buddy that has a $5k grinder for a Ukranian guy in Seattle. He has his $200k in roasters and espresso machines all over the main floor alone. Travels all over the world to buy his own beans. BTW the folks that are way into it all only do espresso for themselves. He and another friend have made me normal coffee that is soo amazing with no sugar or half and half. I almost choke of Starbucks now. Have to pour sugar in cream into it. All their roasts are very light. They all laugh at Americans that want burnt dark crap ruined beans. By the best beans you think you deserve and use the reusable K cups as Rainman says. I'd recommend a V70 cone filter type for just a single cup and a 3 min. pour if you want to try something different that costs almost nothing. If not to just find out how a little tweak of the process can make a noticeable difference. I just cracked opened up a bag of fresh Kona for something different. They laughed at me but hey, at least it is 100% Hawaiian which you can't find State side. Coffee and Karts are my only vices left in life. I would have never guessed. I'm "older" BTW, like Nunley old, but in somewhat better health...... Hang in their Al. Doubt he reads this stuff but then you never know!

You recommended Nicola as best and I looked for it online and found this: https://ecscoffee.com/collections/vendors?q=nicola

There are many flavors of Nicola on the site, which do you prefer, think is best or has the strongest coffee taste?

And this on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nicola+coffee&i=grocery&ref=nb_sb_noss

I think i'll take a chance and order from Canada to try it, pick one for me to try I like strong coffee taste without the bitter acid taste.

Here we see a lot of pushing of imported Colombian coffee on TV. What region of coffee does Portugal usually get their coffee from and where is Nicola from? If it's from a special region then maybe for the fun of it might try other coffee's from the same region.

You recommended Nicola as best and I looked for it online and found this: https://ecscoffee.com/collections/vendors?q=nicola

There are many flavors of Nicola on the site, which do you prefer, think is best or has the strongest coffee taste?

And this on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nicola+coffee&i=grocery&ref=nb_sb_noss

I think i'll take a chance and order from Canada to try it, pick one for me to try I like strong coffee taste without the bitter acid taste.

Here we see a lot of pushing of imported Colombian coffee on TV. What region of coffee does Portugal usually get their coffee from and where is Nicola from? If it's from a special region then maybe for the fun of it might try other coffee's from the same region.

Most coffee they sell in Portugal comes from Brazil since it was their old colony. Brazilian coffee is smooth w]but intense at the same time. Not bitter at all. I like both of these from the pic. One is more creamy(red) and the Black one more Aromatic. Both are coffee beans. You'll need a Grinder, but believe me coffee taste much better if you just grind what you need at the moment. Nothing beats fresh grounded coffee flavor. And that smells... Always brings me great memories from my childhood before my dad died of cancer. He used to grind coffee and that smells brings him back to me. If you tell me what kind of coffee maker you are using and if you have a grinder I might try to find you some. It can be harder to find it now because of the current situation. I can't find the bean kind now online for less than $70 here. Ground might find it cheaper. Let me know and pm me an adress and I'll send you some, Paul. Just for all the hard time I gave you here, lol.

Attachments

• WIN_20200402_14_04_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200402_14_04_58_Pro.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 7
I use regular Maxwell House, its cheap as all get out at Costco, and i use the special insert for regular coffee. If im using an actual pod designed for Keurig, i like the Donut Shop coffee, and the Kirkland Brand Bold Dark Pacific Blend is good also.

By the way, Bob, I found pods online but I think they are for Nespresso and not Keurig.

yes they are not for keurig. I had 4 different kinds in my cart when I realized it. I'd sure like to try them and they were cheap at 39 cents a cup.
39 cents a cup might even make it worth trying a Nespresso machine.

So the lighter the roast the "milder" it is but all the real flavor is still there. For some reason Americans seem to think coffee with acid bite is better. The only reason custom roasters offer it is they have to to make money. It's what the customer wants here. My "Fix" starts off with the grinder and that smell. Like you it reminds me of my Grandparents. For some reason my folks like canned Maxwell house..... Ahhh, I gotta go make another cup....

Pods don't make bad coffee at all. i just hate having one more piece of crap to throw away an waste. Young people love them. Yes, the same ones who need a new phone every year and are gonna save the world from us the old guys, lol

By the way, Bob, I found pods online but I think they are for Nespresso and not Keurig.
I've got the refillable pods from Walmart, my daughter picked them up for me.
They work well with Folgers Classic. They don't filter everything, they do leave a fine haze in the bottom of the cup at about the last swallow, but not bad.
Certainly better than my camp fire coffee. :)

Check YouTube. Look up "cowboy coffee" by Cowboy Kent Rollins. Best coffee I ever had. And Bob, he's from Oklahoma I believe.

When it comes to coffee, I think I’m more qualified to speak about this than racing. I tour with country artists as a production manager/audio engineer and the one thing I make time for when I get off the tour bus before load in is finding a good shop wherever I’m at. Hands down the best companies in the country are Cartel Coffee out of Phoenix, Onyx Coffee Labs in AR, Madcap in Grand Rapids, Coava in Portland/San Diego, and Honest here in Nashville. They all have online stores and are 100% worth the money. Just remember, the darker the roast the less caffeine and a cup of medium roast coffee has upwards of 4x the caffeine than a double shot of espresso. Darker isn’t stronger besides taste!

This was my choice of beans today.

Attachments

• EE1A267A-7066-49E3-B157-E909D86E4680.jpeg
    EE1A267A-7066-49E3-B157-E909D86E4680.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 7
When it comes to coffee, I think I’m more qualified to speak about this than racing. I tour with country artists as a production manager/audio engineer and the one thing I make time for when I get off the tour bus before load in is finding a good shop wherever I’m at. Hands down the best companies in the country are Cartel Coffee out of Phoenix, Onyx Coffee Labs in AR, Madcap in Grand Rapids, Coava in Portland/San Diego, and Honest here in Nashville. They all have online stores and are 100% worth the money. Just remember, the darker the roast the less caffeine and a cup of medium roast coffee has upwards of 4x the caffeine than a double shot of espresso. Darker isn’t stronger besides taste!

This was my choice of beans today.
You are right. I llke lighter roasts because not only they taste beeter to me but probable have more caffeine like the expressos I am used to from Europe. another thing is I do not like the expressos in my own country, Spain. Most coffeee in Spain is imported from Colombia but roasted in Spain, and the typical roast in Spain includes adding a small amount of sugar to glaze the beans and that also gives a darker color and roast I do not enjoy. They call it ¨torrefacto¨ vs the normal roast in more countries that we call ¨natural¨ where sugar is not added when roasting. You can find the ¨natural¨in Spanish stores but not at most coffee places where they use the ¨torrefacto¨.

Interesting. A popular espresso option in the US is sticking sugar in the raw with the espresso in the portafilter and doing two shots, usually called a Cubano. Tastes awful but a lot of people like it.

When I travel to So FL for work, I always make a point to stop in a local Cuban deli / restaurant and have a Cuban coffee. Like the Italians, it is a very social event for them. I used to see the same people at the Cuban coffee shop behind the MIA airport - retired flight mechanics that still come in for their morning coffee. Miss that coffee, very strong and sweet. Could only handle it in small does though :LOL:

Last edited:
In Spain you can't skip a coffee after lunch. Or in the morning before work, or later in the morning when you have an official break. Retired people usually go to a coffee shop after lunch or after siesta and have a coffee and a sometimes brandy while playing cards. No money involved. If you loose you pay coffees. We used to do that in College too. A very social thing indeed. Don't forget living in apartments we do not have a yard to hang around. So it is either parks or coffee places and bars. When we were kids my grandfather when he was having his coffee would call us and asks us (grand kids) to bring him his ¨chirifú¨ (a word he had created himself I guess to call the brandy also known as cognac in France) and he would add a shot of that to his coffee. My dad didn´t mix it but have it in a glass after to his coffee. Recently my grandmother died (a few days ago) and she was over 100 years ago. She survived my grandfather by many years. My grandfather was fun to be around but very demanding too but had a great knowledge of the kind you don´t learn in College if you know what i mean. He fought in the Spanish Civil War and had tons of interesting stories to share. By the way, what were we talking about, coffee? Lol.

Back