Financing Karting

racer_48

I have been wanting to start karting for some time now. The main problem I have is that I don't have any tools to get started. I've been looking into the price and realized that I don't have enough money to get started. Anybody have tips on how to find sponsorship or get some money to start?

Dont go into debit to race, save until you can afford it.
Can't count on sponsorship to pay for much.
Count on $100.00 a week to go racing too, and if you can't afford that, racing will have to wait
Might bump that to $150 depending on tow/travel and how much entry is. It’s about 80bucks just for my family to get in and entry’s

Might bump that to $150 depending on tow/travel and how much entry is. It’s about 80bucks just for my family to get in and entry’s
yeah we always spent more, and also met plenty that spent less, so 100.00 is about average, gas to and from the track, homemade eats, drinks for the cooler, ice, gate fee's for everyone, entry fee etc...

Consider a second job as your best sponsor. You'll get out exactly what you put in.
Every burger that you flip and every yard that you mow, you can be thinking of what to spend that extra money on the kart (tires, engine, chassis, tools, safety equipment, entry fees, fuel, oil, more tires.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Dont go into debt to race, save until you can afford it.
Can't count on sponsorship to pay for much.
Count on $100.00 a week to go racing too, and if you can't afford that, racing will have to wait
Thats a big 10-4 .
As far as tools you do not really need much . Basic hand tools will do it .
Scales and lasers , are not 100% needed .

I know people who started with a socket and wrench set from harbor freight and made it work. Having tools already does help but you don't need to go and buy every specialty tool built for karting. Make stuff and pick it up as you go as your experience increases and the need for such equipment is needed. As for the kart itself if your going with dirt oval try finding a cheap chassis and a couple sets of tires to get seat time and probably go with a cheaper engine class. I don't run predators but for just starting out to get seat time it would be a good idea to me. All in all I'd say you could keep it all under 1500 if you buy smart.

This is also assuming you already have a way to get you and your kart to the track.

Last edited:
Consider a second job as your best sponsor. You'll get out exactly what you put in.
Every burger that you flip and every yard that you mow, you can be thinking of what to spend that extra money on the kart (tires, engine, chassis, tools, safety equipment, entry fees, fuel, oil, more tires.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
We recently had this same conversation didn’t we? Lol no truer words have ever been said!

When I started racing karts again I started from scratch, I bought a kart then spent twice that amount on tools to work with. Tire tools, air supply for shop and race track, preps, spare parts/tires, fuel cans, kart stand etc. Then spent more for a trailer to haul it in. Brace yourself.

Be willing to be "unconventional" or "simple." A bicycle hand tire pump will fill tires....you can borrow a compressor to seat 'em.... Flatbeds or pickup trucks are still allowed in the pits... etc. etc. Don't let any ego stand in the way of getting on track....borrow, beg, steal.....well, ok, not that last one. :)

Be willing to be "unconventional" or "simple." A bicycle hand tire pump will fill tires....you can borrow a compressor to seat 'em.... Flatbeds or pickup trucks are still allowed in the pits... etc. etc. Don't let any ego stand in the way of getting on track....borrow, beg, steal.....well, ok, not that last one. :)
THIS, so much THIS ^^^

We just borrow everything we can. We have 1 set of Saturday night tires. We have 1 set of free tires we scrounged from people to run PA Burris. We run a 14 year old chassis. We borrow gears, we borrow air, we find people to scale us and set our toe/caster/camber. We borrow flashlights to see in the dark, we don't own an enclosed trailer, mostly just use the bed of the truck or I have a flat trailer someone bought us to pull with the car. We hit local businesses for the $32 fee to get in to race in exchange or parade showings or passing out fliers, or we donate plasma or we cut someone's grass off of craigslist or whatever we can do to make money to race. We sleep in the car or a tent at multi day events. We hustle and we have fun.

BTW, we won 13 times this past season.

THIS, so much THIS ^^^

We just borrow everything we can. We have 1 set of Saturday night tires. We have 1 set of free tires we scrounged from people to run PA Burris. We run a 14 year old chassis. We borrow gears, we borrow air, we find people to scale us and set our toe/caster/camber. We borrow flashlights to see in the dark, we don't own an enclosed trailer, mostly just use the bed of the truck or I have a flat trailer someone bought us to pull with the car. We hit local businesses for the $32 fee to get in to race in exchange or parade showings or passing out fliers, or we donate plasma or we cut someone's grass off of craigslist or whatever we can do to make money to race. We sleep in the car or a tent at multi day events. We hustle and we have fun.

BTW, we won 13 times this past season.

It all changes once you leave the JR classes :)

Back