Fired up my Animal and this is what I had going on

New Racer

Fired up my animal motor not sure if I loaded it up or I have ring issue or valve had some oil comin out around where the header pipe bolts to the head and also some oil came out where muffler meets pipe and some out muffler motor guy said more likely loaded it up or rings are shot header bolts are tight. also some fuel came out where you drain from the carb any ideas or anything else I need to do? Gonna do a leak down test on it and go from there.

Most likely the inlet needle is stuck open (allowing an overflow of the float bowl.)
Take it apart, clean it well, then reassemble with proper float height and drop - you should be good to go then.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If it's the stock Animal carb it's not unusual to have some fuel come out of the drain hose or tube even with the float set properly.
If it is pouring out that's not a good sign.
There can be many reasons for fuel coming out of the overflow from a dirty or improperly set float, to a float that is saturated with fuel and actually doesn't float, like it should.
If you have a good scale the float should not weigh more than 8 grams. I just had one yesterday that weighed 10 grams

If the carb is too rich you could have excessive fuel coming out the pipe.

If it's fuel coming out the pipe it should light with a match much more easily that if it's oil.
DON'T BURN THE GARAGE DOWN OR THE KART.
CAPTURE A SMALL AMOUNT OF THE FLUID AND TAKE IT OUTSIDE TO TEST.
A PURE METHANOL FLAME IS VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE BUT AN OIL FLAME IS NOT.
THERE WILL BE SOME IMPURITIES IN WHATEVER THIS FLUID IS SO THERE WILL BE A FLAME VISIBLE.

COMPARE HOW EASILY IT LIGHTS TO PURE OIL. IT WILL BE A JUDGEMENT CALL ON YOUR PART.

Last edited:
Thanks guys il check things over again to make sure thanks for the advise trying to learn these animals lil more been mainly around clones and predators. Thanks again(y)

If it's the stock Animal carb it's not unusual to have some fuel come out of the drain hose or tube even with the float set properly.
If it is pouring out that's not a good sign.
There can be many reasons for fuel coming out of the overflow from a dirty or improperly set float, to a float that is saturated with fuel and actually doesn't float, like it should.
If you have a good scale the float should not weigh more than 8 grams. I just had one yesterday that weighed 10 grams

If the carb is too rich you could have excessive fuel coming out the pipe.

If it's fuel coming out the pipe it should light with a match much more easily that if it's oil.
DON'T BURN THE GARAGE DOWN OR THE KART.
CAPTURE A SMALL AMOUNT OF THE FLUID AND TAKE IT OUTSIDE TO TEST.
A PURE METHANOL FLAME IS VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE BUT AN OIL FLAME IS NOT.
THERE WILL BE SOME IMPURITIES IN WHATEVER THIS FLUID IS SO THERE WILL BE A FLAME VISIBLE.

COMPARE HOW EASILY IT LIGHTS TO PURE OIL. IT WILL BE A JUDGEMENT CALL ON YOUR PART.
Yeah its stock carb.

Well i did do leak down test and read around 40% now this was a harbor freight tester probably not the most accurate tester but wanted to see how much leakage it was

A leakage test can often be deceiving.
The air will take the path of least resistance.
Example: If the exhaust valve leaks very badly all of the air will leak past that valve.
So lets say you take the head off and only repair the exhaust valve. You then put the engine back together.
You start it up and it still doesn't perform properly.
You do another leakage test and now find that the intake valve is leaking.
This time you take it apart again and repair the intake valve.
You put it back together and do another leakage test and find it still has too much leakage but this time it's past the rings.
After you bore and hone the engine you finally have acceptable leakage and you have a happy life.
Tip: You can use oil to temporarily seal the valves or rings.

15% is bad . Can you hear it in the crankcase or intake tract , exhaust ?
I couldn't hear anything i even had my grandfather listen and i had a older clone motor i done it to just to compare and the clone was leaking in exhaust side pulled off valve covers for both engines make sure valves were closed at top dead center

LOL I am a grandfather asking me too listen is not gonna do you much good . Hopefully hes got better hearing .
Use a tube , hold it near where you want too listen other end at ear ?
Or spray soapy water in intake or exhaust port .
Clean afterwards.
Squirt oil in cylinder as jimbo stated .
What pressure ? 100 lbs.

Have no idea where I got it (Harbor Freight, Summit racing, Speedway motors?), but I have a device that looks something like a stethoscope, but has a hollow tube on the business, maybe 8-10" long, instead of a disc with a diaphragm as found on a doctor's stethoscope. Over the years it has proven very handy for isolating sound sources in leak down tests, which valve is clicking and other things. Can't find a catalogue page to link to for one, but if you can find one, it can, for instance, with a little moving around, tell you which valve is leaking (or both of them). Handy device, and didn't cost much. Never needed it to detect leak down past the piston/and rings, lol.

U might be surprised what a long screw driver will tell you.
Just don't put the pointed end up to your ear or you just might win the Darwin award!!!

2nd Jimbo's suggestion on using a long screwdriver - it's amazing what a screwdriver handle in your ear can tell you.

Back