Firestones

i've been running red vega's on the outside, a EL on the left front and a firestone on the left rear....this combo really hooks! the firestone works great in holding to the pavement and adding good grip to coming up off the corner.....(we have an open tire rule).....

What are your thoughts of running yjf on asphalt??

Its a waste of your time. The YJF sidewall and tread patch isnt designed for asphalt.

If you insist on running Firestone, you will want YGF or YKF, which you cant get anymore. Even then, they wont be as competitive as a Yellow Vega

haven't run on the yellow vegas, but the reds are trick! cleaned them, no prep and went out for practice....i was running on el's....but no more!! the red vegas warmed up and held better than any other tire i've run...really held the corners and give me that boost that i like to feel coming up off them....

I've only really run yellow mbs Vegas on pavement lately, with thin left sides. I've also ran an old king for a left rear. Some guys try the white Vegas they take too long to work in my opinion

Whites take too long to come in? I would figure just the opposite -- they'd go away when they get heat saturated.

Hard to beat Yellow on pavement. That's what's fastest at most tracks right now. Hoosier has a new A40 that's decent, the YKFs are decent, but Yellows generally win out.

Now, that said, we ran YJFs on a flat 1/4 mile pavement oval a few years back and killed the field on them. There may have only been 2 or 3 cars on Yellows at the time though and I can't vouch for their competitiveness aside from that. We were faster on Js than Ks in practice each day, so we stayed on the Js and it paid off. Today, if we were to race, I'd probably be on Yellows. :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

For what its worth , in the mid 90s we had dunlop and maxxis , in the heat of summer if the track temp reached 115 degrees or higher we went to maxxis , normally took 8 laps to come in , but when they did , corner speed was very fast , where the dunlop would tend to slow down. I would think track temps would be a factor in tire choice. Which ever tire runs the fastest 20 laps if that is the distance in your main event.

TWR

Back