First cart

Dukester73

Ok I'm a fat old guy. My nephews buddy built a dirt track at his house. I bought an old road cart on the cheap. It has dirt tires on it, 206 raptor motor. It has 93 gas in it, it will run but not very well. How can I tell if it's supposed to be alcohol or gas? Also need to learn about tire configuration, I've looked but can't find anything helpful. Any advice or links to look at would be appreciated. Thanx all

look at the jet see if its numbered . while there look at the metering holes , "2" alcohol one will be big and one smaller ; gas both smaller .
1/2 inch wrench unscrew needle holder , screw driver too remove jet . may need to modify screw driver for fit.
check out jimmy glens articles on building flatheads in flathead section and any other engine info .
tires are going to be trial and error . might try 6.00's on the leftside . 10'son the right.

look at the jet see if its numbered . while there look at the metering holes , "2" alcohol one will be big and one smaller ; gas both smaller .
1/2 inch wrench unscrew needle holder , screw driver too remove jet . may need to modify screw driver for fit.
check out jimmy glens articles on building flatheads in flathead section and any other engine info .
tires are going to be trial and error . might try 6.00's on the leftside . 10'son the right.
Thanx flattop1. Will take carb apart and look this evening. Will give update afterward. If it is alky I'm gonna change back to gas. What should the timing difference be?

Ok I'm a fat old guy. My nephews buddy built a dirt track at his house. I bought an old road cart on the cheap. It has dirt tires on it, 206 raptor motor. It has 93 gas in it, it will run but not very well. How can I tell if it's supposed to be alcohol or gas? Also need to learn about tire configuration, I've looked but can't find anything helpful. Any advice or links to look at would be appreciated. Thanx all
he said 206 also, and im fully aware what a raptor is

No number on jet, but the metering holes are definitely different sizes. Pump gasket is rotted out also. So can I guess I need to be on the look out for a rebuild kit. I'm also gonna look into a gas carb cause alcohol is gonna be expensive round here. And for the **** we're doin, just impractical. But I do want to win. Anyone able to tell me the difference between a race card for $100 or a stock briggs card for $30

That’s how I got started, now we race 4 karts, lol.
I probably had more fun on the backyard track than I have at the race track. I love racing, and the people I race with, but there’s something to be said for buddies just having fun in the backyard with go karts.

Jun 3, 2019

amusall said:
What about going the other way, switching from methanol to gas? I went with the #37 jet as the only change. Engine starts but is tricky to keep running and falls on its face when opening the throttle
What kind of carb are we talking about? The original Briggs carb?
If so, then you're close on the jet at .037." I generally suggest .038."
The needle is used to tune a flathead on gas moreso than you would with alcohol. Start @ 1 1/2 turns and adjust from there.
If it idles fine, then falls on it's face when you step on the throttle, then it's likely too lean.
You may also have something plugged up in the carb (small idle circuit, pick-up tube, etc.)
If you've loosened the flywheel to change the ignition timing, then make sure that it is torqued plenty tight -- they slip easily if the taper is not lapped properly.
Also, check your plug gap -- Most WKA/IKF flatheads will use a slapper cam that "lofts" the valves. The intake valve will tag the ground strap on the spark plug if it is not indexed correctly, and that will make the engine fall on it's face when applying the throttle from an idle as well.

The big hole will be .059 -.062 in size . on a race /alcohol carb .
all you should need is a diaphragm and jet maybe a new needle . and the tank gasket .
timing will be advanced on methanol Roughly 4 * , I would do carb first and go from there.

Well then you would know that a Raptor is a 206 also...
Raptors have never been known as 206, that denotes an animal based engine, being new you probably didn't know that, in karting when someone says 206 they are talking about the sealed engine Briggs produces, not flatheads

Once in a while even the blind squirrel finds a nut .
Screenshot_20190814-143927_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190814-143927_Chrome.jpg

I don't know if you got this engine up and running right yet, but a simple way to check if a flathead is on alcohol or gas, is to pull the main jet out and measure it. If it's bigger than .040", then it's likely set up for alcohol.
Just put a .037" jet in it and run it on gas. Any other modifications (metering holes, short stem, ignition timing, etc) will not prevent you from having fun running with your buddies.

If you need any parts (ANYTHING) for your engine, please don't hesitate to call on us.
We love the old flatheads.
We WILL be the last shop standing with parts and support for the Briggs flathead engines.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back