First dirt race done at 58

Wow, what a great experience. 2 heats, 1 feature. 2 DNFs. Ha!

First race I was with the pack, someone spun out in front of me, and bumped my wheel. Knocked my steering shaft out of the pillow block. My fault for not having a bolt through it or having it pinned. I fixed it with a lock collar. Second heat starting on pole, running good till I spun out, then after catching back up I lost my left rear wheel, hub and all. I found out later that everyone tapes the key stock in place ? I should have had a snap ring on the end of the axle. Finished the feature but kart was way loose and I had to use too much brake to corner, but I finished and it felt great. Best part of the night ? loaning my chain tool to a fellow racer. geo

I also started at 58. Grandson was 2 and I wanted him to be a racer so, hop in and learn. Best decision I ever made. 3 years to win the first race and then back to back pro clone championships. Little guy is now in red plate and coming along quite well. No better life than the racer's life.

DD

Yes, I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I've been around racing in a support role since age 15, but being a racer now is really nice. My turn to drive.

Back