First Race

LooksLikeFun

Just thought it would be interesting to hear what peoples first time in a race was like. Hopefully I'll be in my first race next weekend WhoooHooo.

Get ready for sore arms next day…..LOL…..When I started along time ago, I told them I wanted to start in the back for heat races and the feature race, did this a few times till I got my feet wet, then I went all out, just go out and have fun no matter what happens, now my son races when we can go.

Get ready for sore arms next day…..LOL…..When I started along time ago, I told them I wanted to start in the back for heat races and the feature race, did this a few times till I got my feet wet, then I went all out, just go out and have fun no matter what happens, now my son races when we can go.
I plan on doing the same running in the back until I think I'm ready. I hope I get to race with my son also,Ive been hanging out around the track and helping a friend and his wife. It looks like a ton of fun,but Ive found out it's pretty expensive to put a kart together piece by piece Ive got 2 grand in my old non adjustable no clue on brand Kart...but everything is new hahaha. I plan on getting my feet wet and upgrading karts and let my son use the one I have now,but we'll see how that goes.

Ran my first race back in July at almost 50 years old. I qualified around three tenths off the pole, then completely missed the tires for the feature. The track was slick, and I was way too high on air pressure. I was sideways the entire feature, and stunk out loud. That being said, I had the time of my life turning the tables having my son as my crew chief instead of the reverse that we were used to. I hope to be able to fit some more races into my schedule before the year is out to try to redeem myself. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, just go out there and enjoy yourself. Even sideways, I had a HUGE smile on my face.

Ran my first race back in July at almost 50 years old. I qualified around three tenths off the pole, then completely missed the tires for the feature. The track was slick, and I was way too high on air pressure. I was sideways the entire feature, and stunk out loud. That being said, I had the time of my life turning the tables having my son as my crew chief instead of the reverse that we were used to. I hope to be able to fit some more races into my schedule before the year is out to try to redeem myself. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, just go out there and enjoy yourself. Even sideways, I had a HUGE smile on my face.

Thats great stuff right there. I'm 43 and my first race I may get to do on my birthday if I can get this kart together in time.

My 1st race was last fall, I got my kart on a Friday night and stayed up all night to get it ready for the race the next day. I had never even sat in a race kart till I got to the track that day. I was sooooo nervous, shaking and felt like I was gonna Ralph in my helmet. Once I got my 1st practice in I was ready for more. Had the time of my life and now racing when and wherever I can. Good luck on ur 1st race. Drive fast and be safe!

My 1st race was last fall, I got my kart on a Friday night and stayed up all night to get it ready for the race the next day. I had never even sat in a race kart till I got to the track that day. I was sooooo nervous, shaking and felt like I was gonna Ralph in my helmet. Once I got my 1st practice in I was ready for more. Had the time of my life and now racing when and wherever I can. Good luck on ur 1st race. Drive fast and be safe!
Hahaha @ Ralph, I'm dreading having to put jeans,leather jacket and a helmet on in Florida in august...it's like 95's and I cant imagine having to suit up in the blazing sun.

...I told them I wanted to start in the back for heat races and the feature race....

Most damage ever to our kart happened starting in the back as the karts came around to start the race.
The back may not always be the best place.
'Course in was Green Plate where anything can happen w/other inexperienced drivers.
Just saying.

Good luck, see if the track is open for a open practice, you can learn to find points or the groove where your kart runs fast. Then youll be ready for the next race. Have fun thats #2 rule. Be careful yourself and for others, thats#1.

The day I had to run my 1st kart race every other racer was giving me advices and askingfif I was nervous. In fact I wasn't nervous about the race at all. The reason was the girl who was my girlfriend back then had just received a call from her family about an uncle of her trying to kill her aunt stabbing her and I knew both pretty good so the race wasn't my main concern at that point at all.

I started racing year before last...pushing 40, figured it's now or never.

First time out, I showed up with some dried out old asphalt tires with 18 lbs. of air in them (tires is tires, ain't they?!?). I had the impression that kart racing was like open wheel racing, not stock cars/demo derby, and couldn't believe the rolling riot I was in the middle of! A few laps from the end I got in a huge pileup, nearly flipped, and bent the right rear wheel. I finished a lap down, with a flat right rear. Also....had the time of my life.

The strangest thing from that night was was watching people WASHING TIRES!! Why in the world would someone wash a tire, and dry it like it's a baby?!?

This year, I was proud to take a tough feature win over the guy that told me on that first night that I would be better off with 5 lbs. of air, not 18. Also, got to tell several total newbies that they didn't need a better motor, they needed better tires and a set of bathroom scales. A few of them listened, and are proving real competition. I'm still running an old kart on a low budget, but feel good to be giving back....it wasn't that long ago that I was them, being thrilled to finish without being lapped.

That's great stuff to read ,It's funny how everyone had a blast the first time out. I also seen people washing tires and drying them the way you said, and some people are so serious on what their doing it's kind of funny to watch and think I'll most likely end up the same way. What is the funniest, well maybe not to some,but when I walk over and start looking at their kart and you can see it in their eyes they want to know what the hell your doing hahaha

Ran my first race, asphalt sprint track, on a rented 4 stroke, about 34 years ago. Was hooked, and immediately had my own sprinter, then took it to a road race track, and immediately had to have a laydown. Now, older and wiser, I have several of each!!! Still can only drive one at a time. :) I still today, have good close friends, that I met at the tracks that first year. It's been a wonderful sport, made many lifelong friends!! This year, I get to compete in the road race nat'ls a week before my 60th. Can still put up a damn good fight.

I started bout 1.5 yrs ago and am still learning but my experince was just like ree72. Love the sport and im sore evry day after a race day

March 1997. Started in the back for both heats and the feature. Finished 5th, 5th and 7th out of 8 that night. Back then we had just number panels, now body work, no tire preps that I knew of anyway, threaded 5" tires and a straight up kart. Times have changed a lot!

Back