First Trailer Decision

Just getting started with a two kart operation and need to purchase first trailer. Budget and weight require an open trailer option. I'm trying to decide between a two spot snowmobile trailer or a 5'x8' trailer with some sort of double stack system. Let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Certainly you can get it done with a 5x8 trailer. I have had a 2 (or sometimes 3) kart operation using my pick-up truck and a 5 x 8 open trailer. Let me tell you this, it is not fun and it gets old fast. Two karts, two kart stands, easy up tents, tool boxes, tires, cooler, chairs and spares take up a lot of room. An average kart is 3 feet wide and 6 feet long, two karts side by side is 6 feet wide. The stacker would have to go in the trailer lengthwise and would leave less than two feet behind them for extra stuff. It would quickly turn into a hillbilly moving day every time you drive to the track. I would recommend a 6 foot wide trailer that is 10 or 12 feet long.

We have a 14' by 7' trailer for sale. We fit 2 karts in it with no problem. There are tire racks mounted on the wall and also cabinets on the other wall to store things in. Located in Everett, PA. $2,000 for just trailer or $5,000 for everything we're selling as a package which includes the following:
14' x 7' enclosed trailer

08 Mongoose Gravity Chassis (includes Clone engine, tires, body, Mychron 3 tach, and pit buggie)

2010 Firehawk Chassis (includes tires, body, Mychron 3 tach, and pit buggie)

1 set of Burris 22s
4 sets of Burris 33's
25 sets of various rear sprocket sizes
2015 BBT electric starter

Various other miscellaneous karting items such as many spare parts, bodies, and other equipment that would go with the trailer as well! We would like to sell everything all at once, but would be willing to split things up.

A used enclosed, as long as axles are good and isn't falling apart and will house your karts will save you a lot of headaches. An open trailer should suffice for a short time but like computer-kart stated you will notice more material being hauled each outing due to the "what ifs " and so forth. Another way to think about it is what is your investment worth to subject it to the elements of Mother Nature?

I agree with #19brian. Your karts & important items would be out of the weather. We ran the last 2 years out of a 5'x8' trailer with 60" ceiling. We built a rack out of wood to stack them. It was kinda slick how we did it. We had room on the side for 2 extra sets of tires. Room behind for pit karts ( 1 was collapesably) & tool box. It helps if you have a pick up or suv. I have more info on the Rack if interested. We had a ramp to roll the top kart up. The ramp & rack could be put together or taken apart in seconds. Let me know if want more info.

Back