First Vehicle

I know this is a big deal for alot of us motorheads. When we got our first car, a since of freedom, you can mod it and make it yours. I am getting my first vehicle tommorow and I plan on it lasting me at least 5 years because it is a very nice vehicle. What was the first vehicle you guys got and what mods did you do. I know this may have been a long time ago for some of you ole geezers on here...I am just messing around.

1st car1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk V8 3 speed floor shift.
Upholstered the front seats

2nd MGA.

3rd 1962 Tbird for cruising
200 miles a night without leaving the main street thru town except to go watch a drag race, as in American graffiti

Last edited:
My first car, in 1973: 1963 Ford Econoline van with the same 170 six and 3 on the tree as mentioned above.

I was racing motorcycles, so needed something I could haul my flat track bike in.

First mod? -- bypass the add-on smog system that had been required here in California that year.

PM

My first was a 1977 Camaro that I pulled out of a cow field for $400. With the help of my dad I restored/restomodded it through high school and my first year of college. Had to sell it to get into racing, some days I wish I had it back, and some days I don't.

Day 1
FB_IMG_1631793960438.jpg

Yep thats the wrong front end, don't worry I corrected that. We completely rebuilt both rear frame rails first as they were basically rusted away. Then both quarters were due for replacement. For the first 2.5 years that I owned the car it was on jack stands with the doors off and the front subframe removed.

FB_IMG_1631794017720.jpg

FB_IMG_1631794051759.jpg

Once the metal work was done of course it was time for body work. My dad went to school for body work so that was a nice resource to have. He taught me how to do body work, and left me to it. For the next year it was a constant cycle of body work going on. We rebuilt the original 305 before deciding it wasn't mean enough for what I wanted. Ended up having a 400hp, 425ftlbs 350 built. It ran good with the shift kit and high stall converter I had in the TH350.

See the next post for the finished product.

All these vehicles are pretty cool but Jaymancds has one good-looking Camaro. I guess that I will say what my first vehicle is...2009 Chevy 2500 Duramax. My uncle sold it to a car lot and we decided to get it. It has 280000 miles on the chassis and 107000 on the motor. My parents both pitched in the money to buy it and I am paying all the insurance and covering the cost of diesel as well. Seems like a good deal to me! I am so excited as I have a few things I plan to do to it. I am gonna start saving up and probably do a muffler delete and nice exhaust tip and paint the underside of the truck and the chassis so no rust forms and then get rid of steps on the side and some other stuff. All these vehicles seem like very cool cars for a high schooler. I am going into a diesel tech program my jr year of high school and you can work on your own truck there so thats why we went with a diesel so I can put my knowledge to use and work on it if I have any issues.

1979 F-150 with a 460, dark blue, First Ford, last Ford.
Always owned trucks, bought my first car 2 yrs ago to drive back & forth to work, truck mainly sits unless I need to pull a trailer.

1975 Jeep CJ-5, 304ci V8, when that engine blew up, I dropped an AMC 360ci in it. Headers and everything bolted up. That thing wouldn’t go over 70 mph, but it got there quick. Heck, it would lift the front tires if I launched it hard enough. Lots of fun, terrible on snowy roads. To much power. Put 33-12.50’s on it to take up some of the power. I miss it.

'76 Wagoneer. Bought it for $1 as long as I could pull it out of a farmers pasture. Paid more in taxes than the actual vehicle lol.
Cleaned and primed using hand brushes follow up by CASE IH industrial black and red combine paint with a paint roller. Carried a pint of black with me in case I ever needed to touch the body up lol.
First mod was torching out holes in front of the rear passengers feet in front of the rear wheels so that you could drop a "soda" down and the tire would smash it making it look like you just ran over someone else's can.

Jeep 1.jpg
Jeep 2.jpg

1955 Chevy Belair with stove bolt 6 and 3 on the tree.

On the up side, I had a casual girlfriend that loved driving a stick shift, and my father said it was ok if she drove when we went on a date, so she was always willing to go to the movies with me or anything like that - don't know where she got that like of manual shift cars, but she sure liked mine better than her mother's auto trans car back in 1960, when we were heading into our junior year in high school and the ink was barely dry on our licenses.

'76 Wagoneer. Bought it for $1 as long as I could pull it out of a farmers pasture. Paid more in taxes than the actual vehicle lol.
Cleaned and primed using hand brushes follow up by CASE IH industrial black and red combine paint with a paint roller. Carried a pint of black with me in case I ever needed to touch the body up lol.
First mod was torching out holes in front of the rear passengers feet in front of the rear wheels so that you could drop a "soda" down and the tire would smash it making it look like you just ran over someone else's can.

View attachment 17584View attachment 17585
Soda Can? for some reason I believe it may have been a different can?

Back