Fixed vs adjustable geometry karts

Krtrcr47

This is just to spark up conversation and discourse.
WHY SELL FULLY ADJUSTABLE KARTS?

Yes I will always own adjustable karts. but if a chassis manufacturer tells you put this geometry in it and never touch it the rest is in the tires then why give the option to screw up the geometry?

This should be interesting.

I want full adjustability on anything raced even if I don't know how to use it.
If you need it and have it good.
If you need it and don't have it that's bad.

Why would anyone not want an adjustment which might be used to go faster?

Would you offer something to debate pro or con and see if you get likes or opinions?

I think my answer to anything you offer a racer doesn't need is "What if you do sometime need it and it ain't there?"

How would you work around an adjustment you need but don't have?
Pick one and explain how you would get around it and you'll get some fun debate.

How would you get around having too much stagger on a straight and you can't alter your rear tires for what ever reason?

Last edited:
Personally, I see your point. Even in the "simple" geometry of a kart, it isn't hard to adjust yourself right out of a winning combo. I have adjustments at my disposal that I have never even considered using. Maybe that is due to my inexperience, or maybe thats what separates me from the pros. I have my handful of go to adjustments, and I don't travel enough to really need to throw the kitchen sink at it very often. Once I find something decent, I can fine tune from there and am normally close enough to be competitive.

Would I buy a kart that isn't fully adjustable, I don't think so. I want all the tools, even if I may not use them. Similarly, I want all of the data/info I can gather at any given time about what my kart is doing. It doesnt mean I will do anything with it, I just want to have it just in case.

Will I fully use a fully adjustable kart, no. Will I ever buy one that isn't, also no.

This is just to spark up conversation and discourse.
WHY SELL FULLY ADJUSTABLE KARTS?

Yes I will always own adjustable karts. but if a chassis manufacturer tells you put this geometry in it and never touch it the rest is in the tires then why give the option to screw up the geometry?

This should be interesting.
It is my opinion the reason they come fully adjustable not every kart is the same period. So to be able to repeat performance adjustable parts are needed same reason tire rods aren't fixed. But its my opinion every kart is diffrent no matter what.

Yes I agree call a chassis company ask them diffrent setup info. Most new chassis companies tell you something like lf camber .75 rf 2.5 caster 8 10 cross 67 68 nose 46 adjust with tires. I just think it's a little funny. Maybe thats just what I'm told.

Maybe because the geometry changes with the weight on the tires.

A chassis setup correctly for a small jr driver is not going to have the same camber, for one, as it would have if you put a 200# driver in there and change nothing else.

There is a reason for setting the caster, camber, and toe with the driver in the seat.

I am not sure I have ever gotten that advice .

Put these numbers in and never touch it .

If i did , I would still adjust something .

I see his point, 95% of the karts today have a manufacture baseline setup that is almost identical and they tell you to work tires, tires, tires.

Of course, I see the reason for the adjustments and even find that we need to scale and re-align several times a season due to chassis flex, driver weight, tire type etc. Do we use all of the adjustments to their utmost capability- no!

I mean how many karts out there today don't suggest -2.5-3.0 RF camber, 57 left, 65-68% cross and 46-47 nose?

In our huge attempt to run with all the big guys down here in the SE, we have found that you RARELY touch the chassis setup. One set of tires can make the difference between running in the back and qualifying on pole. I personally watched a very good handling kart ( and good driver) run top 4 in heavy at FDMS last weekend with a motor that was missing and sputtering at the end of the straights for almost the entire race. Tires are 98% of the game these days.

I see his point, 95% of the karts today have a manufacture baseline setup that is almost identical and they tell you to work tires, tires, tires.

Of course, I see the reason for the adjustments and even find that we need to scale and re-align several times a season due to chassis flex, driver weight, tire type etc. Do we use all of the adjustments to their utmost capability- no!

I mean how many karts out there today don't suggest -2.5-3.0 RF camber, 57 left, 65-68% cross and 46-47 nose?

In our huge attempt to run with all the big guys down here in the SE, we have found that you RARELY touch the chassis setup. One set of tires can make the difference between running in the back and qualifying on pole. I personally watched a very good handling kart ( and good driver) run top 4 in heavy at FDMS last weekend with a motor that was missing and sputtering at the end of the straights for almost the entire race. Tires are 98% of the game these days.
Yes that's what I'm saying. I could see the benefits of having a chassis only adjustment would be cross and 3 pills for 3 diffrent weight classes with the 3 pills all the camber caster kpi already set. You can change cross and set toe and adjust tires accordingly. It just makes me wonder many things.

Again any chassis I own I want adjustments. Pavement is back I'm just curious to see how it pans out. I get a little irritated being told same settings for every where adjust tires. That is completely wrong. If you take the same setup to a track with no bank to a mid bank you could lock down for example. I was just checking to see if anyone even pays attention. I try to always create conversations that people starting out can get good insight just by reading make them curious and research it.

Could it benefit to have a beginner chassis? Maybe, maybe the banshee is already out there no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Back