Flame clutch?

Phineas

So not sure what this engagement speed means on a clutch. If I want to increase the exceleration am I looking for the RPM engagement to be higher?

That depends, what is the RPM when you first floor it coming out of the pits? You do have a tack, right?
If not, there is another way to get it right. put a bathroom scale between the front of your kart and a strong wall. Adjust your clutch, up and down, until you get the highest reading on the scale. Getting the most torque to the axle (highest scale reading) will give you the fastest acceleration.

Yes have a tack.....( not the best at being able to look thru it ) but I am reading up on that, so I can help my son with this. Thanks for the info.

Yes have a tack.....( not the best at being able to look thru it ) but I am reading up on that, so I can help my son with this. Thanks for the info.
If you have a tack, just observe the rpm where you get the highest reading on the scale. You don't want to hold the throttle down for any length of time, it should just take two or three seconds to get a reading. People laugh at this, but, other than track testing, there's no better way to set the clutch. And you can do this at home when you have time, rather than at the track where things can get a little rushed.

Think about it, you don't get horsepower (HP is a calculation) to the rear axle, you get torque, and the best torque readings at the rear axle give you the most horsepower (a calculation) at the rear axle. Torque (At the axle) X RPM (of the axle) / 5252.1 = HP at the rear wheels. While the clutch is slipping, the horsepower at the engine is different from the horsepower at the rear wheels. Once the clutch locks-up, then the horsepower at the engine is pretty much the same as the horsepower at the axle.

If you go to inferno clutch site they have a chart for each of their clutches, and spring combos.
I know that the fury also uses weights. The chart that inferno has is very accurate. The main thing about these clutches you want to follow the weekly maintenance, very easy.

Back