Flat footing

Azevedo16

When I first started racing karts I was told if you don't flat foot the kart you will get out ran. I run a predator class on a 1/4 mile track and have only raced 4 times. I lift off the gas going into the turns then about halfway through the corners I give it all she's got. My last race I had a pretty comfortable lead so I started experimenting, I tried flat footing the kart and could feel my motor bogging down pretty bad. That being said one of my teammates flat foots his and has no loss of lap times. We are on the same tires and prep but he race a class that is 25 lbs heavier.
I realize that this is a long open question but I can't figure out why his doesn't bog like mine

Good chance your right, Next time you race check your air pressure gain in all your tires as soon as you come off, Good chance your RR is gaining the most thus RR tight, But one of them will show more pressure gain if it's tight.

must not be a true 1/4 mile track, thats what we race on, and if you lift, theyll freight train right by you

must not be a true 1/4 mile track, thats what we race on, and if you lift, theyll freight train right by you
Hmmm we run a 1/4 mile a few times a year and if you don’t lift you’ll be wallmeat. Maybe your track has better grip than ours ?

In my opinion the difference between flatfooting it and lifting in the corners depends on how you drive. Some guys can flatfoot it and not lose speed others cant. It all depends on your entry to the corner, exit off the corner, and how you have your kart setup. Preferably you want your kart a little on the loose side to flatfoot it.

In my opinion the difference between flatfooting it and lifting in the corners depends on how you drive. Some guys can flatfoot it and not lose speed others cant. It all depends on your entry to the corner, exit off the corner, and how you have your kart setup. Preferably you want your kart a little on the loose side to flatfoot it.

In my opinion it’s all about grip, change my mind 👍

One thing that I have noticed is my tires are in better shape after the race than most everyone else's. I do believe that my kart is a little tighter than what most like, but for me it like driving on the interstate!

Totally depends on the track! We run 1/4mile with NO grip and if you don't lift even in purple plate you are kissing the wall.
I still say the track may be listed as "1/4" mile but it doesnt measure a true 1/4, some will measure 1/4 around the outside of the track and still claim 1/4 mile race track, but the groove isnt anywhere near 1/4 mile.
Measured 1/4 mile track in the groove, our home track, you lift they will freight train by you, drafting is in play

One thing that I have noticed is my tires are in better shape after the race than most everyone else's. I do believe that my kart is a little tighter than what most like, but for me it like driving on the interstate!
tires look better? fuzzing up? smooth looking?

I still say the track may be listed as "1/4" mile but it doesnt measure a true 1/4, some will measure 1/4 around the outside of the track and still claim 1/4 mile race track, but the groove isnt anywhere near 1/4 mile.
Measured 1/4 mile track in the groove, our home track, you lift they will freight train by you, drafting is in play
Yup like I said, look at the dampness in that track, ours they run 600 sprints and 4 bangers on and its dry slick.

Being able to flat foot it depends on what you need to do after turn entry. If your going to roll it after turn entry then you need either enough speed, chassis action or weightout to put it balanced on the outside tires without lifting to set it there. If you need to hold it in and even turn down after entry protecting a line without lifting, then you need enough weight on the LR to anchor you or rudder you well enough to do it without lifting. Weather you can do what's needed without lifting depends on grip, speed, the turn and driver skill. Nothing says you can't move in your seat to make the kart work as you need it to without lifting.

Back