Flat head shutdown

Razor tech

Hey guys what do do after you race (or run)a flat head to get the methanol out of the engine(carb) what procedure do ya use to make sure you get your engine ready for the next race , never ran flatlys just clones ,,thank you

change oil, remove methanol from the tank, run til empty, just as it quits fog carb with wd40, spray wd40 in the tank as well, turn the clutch by hand until its off the compression stroke, tape over air horn, and muffler

IV always done this with any engine that ran on methanol, its pretty corrosive if left in the carb. Good advice above

change oil, remove methanol from the tank, run til empty, just as it quits fog carb with wd40, spray wd40 in the tank as well, turn the clutch by hand until its off the compression stroke, tape over air horn, and muffler

I don't think you alky will test good if you spray WD 40 into the tank. When I ran them I just sprayed the WD 40 into the carb until the engine stalled out. Never had any problems doing that.

I would not spray anything in your fuel tank. Some run gas through the carb after alky. I have. But to tell the truth I have really just shut it down a million times and left it alone without any issues also.

I drain tank and instead of wd down the carb I use race gas with castor (Yamaha fuel) with a little marvel mystery mixed in. My builder just started using the Thor Oil fog oil with zero complaints. Regular gasoline has ethanol and can gel/corrode, that is why I use leaded race gas. Just make sure to have a crappy fog plug

I don't think you alky will test good if you spray WD 40 into the tank. When I ran them I just sprayed the WD 40 into the carb until the engine stalled out. Never had any problems doing that.

You dont put tons in it, its evaporated before the next race, 15 years doing it and NEVER failed a fuel test
The white chalky residue will form in the tank just as it will the carb

I used to run my motors on Propane. Just used a Propane torch not llit, then blew out the tank at home with compressed air to dry out the tank. Never has any rust or card problems.

If your track only tests fuel with a water test - I can all but guarantee you that putting gas or WD40 in the fuel tank will cause a DQ even weeks afterwards. It does not evaporate as easily as suggested.

If you don't have a fuel test to worry about, then I would just run gas through the engine (via the fuel tank) at the end of the night. Drain the alcohol, add just a splash of gas to the tank. Run the engine for a minute or two. Drain the gas, and re-fire the engine. It will run for 30 seconds or so on just what's left in there. Let it sit empty all week. THIS will purge alcohol from the fuel circuit in the carb -- Spraying WD40 in the air horn does NOTHING for removing alcohol contaminants from the fuel circuit (metering holes, jet, pick-up tubes, etc - that typically can get plugged.) It will offer a little protection on the valve seats and cylinder though if that's all you're trying to accomplish.

Again, if your track does a water test on your alcohol -- DO NOT put anything other than clear legal alcohol in the tank.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Razor, depending on what Tech procedure the track you are racing at does, read Brian's first sentence if they ONLY do the water test. WD-40 thru the Air Horn does nothing for the tank, jets, pickups, etc. as Brian also said. You have to be careful with Flatheads and Fuel Tech. I have seen some fuel samples that looked like a milkshake when mixed with water. One reason ( and just one ) why I am glad we don't race them any longer.

Dave E.

Back