Flat kart to champ kart

Have been running a flat kart for a few seasons. Gonna run a champ kart some this season as well. Suggestions for differences in general set up/ driving of the two . I have set up numbers. I asking about engage speed on clutches, general increase of starting tire pressures, etc. things like that. Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Gearing will be different as well. which motor were you custom to on your flat kart ? which motor will you be on when running champ ?

Great advice above -- AND...
Don't drive your champ kart like you drove the flat kart.

We raced with a kid (good racer) a while back who spent a couple years away from his champ kart to focus on national level flat kart racing (ie bump drafting.)
When he made his return to champ kart racing, he raced everyone like he was still behind the protective covering of his braced up flat kart nose and tore up and flat crashed out pretty much everyone else in one night.
Driving a champ kart takes more respect and patience.
L blocks and spindles aren't cheap. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Great advice above -- AND...
Don't drive your champ kart like you drove the flat kart.

We raced with a kid (good racer) a while back who spent a couple years away from his champ kart to focus on national level flat kart racing (ie bump drafting.)
When he made his return to champ kart racing, he raced everyone like he was still behind the protective covering of his braced up flat kart nose and tore up and flat crashed out pretty much everyone else in one night.
Driving a champ kart takes more respect and patience.
L blocks and spindles aren't cheap. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Great advice Brian, as always. Thanks.

Gearing will be different as well. which motor were you custom to on your flat kart ? which motor will you be on when running champ ?
Running unrestricted adult clone on both, I'm strongly leaning toward dedicating specfic motors to specific karts. Your thoughts? I'm running Bully clutches on both to maintain same platform to work off of. Plus can use drivers out of same inventory.

Clutch engage should be the same for the same engine (= peak torque.)
Now, with the champ kart weight, you may be one driver smaller than a light or medium flat kart with the same engine. That kind of depends on the track though too, but generally we're on a tooth smaller driver with the sr champ over lights & mediums.

Running unrestricted adult clone on both, I'm strongly leaning toward dedicating specfic motors to specific karts. Your thoughts? I'm running Bully clutches on both to maintain same platform to work off of. Plus can use drivers out of same inventory.
If you can I'd dedicate a motor for each if no other reason easier to keep track of # of races plus oil changes, using same clutches and drivers will be easier also, as mentioned 90 % of tracks you'll be on 1 smaller front driver with the champ VS the flat kart, may even be a few rare cases where your 2 drivers smaller.

Very solid advice and suggestions by everyone.

Once I started to run the buggy the more I disliked racing flat karts. Can't really pick one main reason why.

Back