Flat top piston - 2 or 3 groove

What's everyone's thoughts on the Wiseco flat top piston with only 2 grooves (oil scraper and top ring) vs. a flat top piston with the 3 grooves?

Here is the Wiseco piston: HERE

This will be used in a 196cc modified build to run on Methanol. 14cc head, 27/25 valves 8000+ RPM

Thanks.

Pretty sure if there was a ring problem Wiseco wouldn't be selling it. Been running their 2 ring pistons without problems for years. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your engine but seeing its an alcohol engine I would be more concerned about valve size.

Pretty sure if there was a ring problem Wiseco wouldn't be selling it. Been running their 2 ring pistons without problems for years. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your engine but seeing its an alcohol engine I would be more concerned about valve size.
What are your concerns with the valve sizes? We still have to run the stock appearing carb. The is no max bore requirement however.

I searched through here and it seemed there is a point where of the valves get too large and the velocity slows down and hurts performance. I thought I read 32mm valves were for the big carb, larger displacement engines and my be too big for a 196cc build with a stock appearing carb.

Thoughts?

I've built engines using the two ring Wiseco piston and one of the benefits it is lighter. The ports and small valves on the 14 CC head require too much work you would be better off using the head off a box stock products 212 CC engine, it already has better ports and 27 / 25 valves.Cut it way down.

Back