Flathead Tach

leoofc

Looking for a decent quality inexpensive tach for my funkart and minibike.There are a bunch of them on ebay such as Searon,Top Tach,Carbole, Sierra Marine, Timorn to name a few. Has anyone one had particularly good luck with any of these? Ive had a cheapo with unreplaceable batteries and the readout wasnt steady enough.

Looking for a decent quality inexpensive tach for my funkart and minibike.There are a bunch of them on ebay such as Searon,Top Tach,Carbole, Sierra Marine, Timorn to name a few. Has anyone one had particularly good luck with any of these? Ive had a cheapo with unreplaceable batteries and the readout wasnt steady enough.

Just be careful to look at the sampling rate. I noticed on some of the cheaper tachs, they only take a sample each second. That's an eternity on engine acceleration. Most record maximum rpm, but if they're only sampling once per second, it makes you wonder how accurate the max rpm is (when was it calculated - at corner entry, end of straight, after you get out of the throttle, etc.)
I suppose these cheap tachs would be better than nothing/guessing, but with that poor of sampling rate, I sure wouldn't be tuning/gearing according to one. Setting the idle - sure, it will work just fine. Then again, God gave us two ears to set that - as long as they are sampling correctly. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Well, I got my tach from Racingpowersports and like it very much. It has a replaceable battery and a backlight.It came by default set to .5 second sampling rate as well as set to one cyl, one spark, one rpm. The readout is pretty steady and serves my purpose well. I didnt even have to get into the menu tree which sometimes can become "nightmarish"LOL. Thanks for putting me on to this. I will order another.

Back