Flathead vs Predator Pros/cons

troyweaver

What are the pros and cons of these motors. I can get both locally used for $50. The briggs comes with exhaust and carb and intake just needs a clutch. The predator is just the engine.

In my opinion based on what i have seen and experienced from running both engines mentioned, the predator has more power across a bigger rpm range than the flathead does, and 9 times out of 10 the predator will win if both engines are built using the same basic parts. I have seen the same happen when having both engines completely built as in open class rules where anything goes, the predator is capable of more power for the money you spend, compared to the flathead. The Briggs will cost more to build, likely twice as much as you could build the predator for. The flathead most likely is set up to run methanol, which may or may not be available locally for you, while the predator is likely set up for pump gas, which is available on about every corner gas station in the country. You can get a cheap clutch for around $50 for the predator, and the other accesories for around $60 (Top plate and fuel pump, chain guard), so around $100-120 could have the predator race ready, depending on what all is on/in it already.

Not to argue... And I do agree...
But , methanol is available to anyone anywhere locally... hardware store, parts store, Lowes, ,Home Depot, Walmart, paint store etc...

Not anywhere, i have tried to get it everywhere locally here and nobody carries it. But i also dont live in a big city or any of that, no Walmart or Home depot, lowes or any of that, the local hardware stores and paint store dont have it and looked at me like i was crazy when i asked if they could get it. Small town problems i guess. Closest place to me that has it is 50 miles one way. I really do wish it were that easy here, Canada may be different though

Never ask for Methanol... Ask for methyl hydrate... They use it for gas line treatment, paint thinning and cleaning... Also the diesel trucks, RV's and heavy machinery, farm machines, use it for gas line... It may be also that they only carry it on the shelves during certain months when people are winterizing there equipment, and they keep it in the back...

Actually if you just get gas line antifreeze it is also methanol...

Heck all the towns I live in / near only have populations of 5,000-30,000 people...

Thats somewhere I had never thought about Barry, what would tire shops do with methanol? And Yakattack thats some useful info there, I never heard of it being called methyl hydrate, but I'm not a chemical engineer either lol. Might do some checking around tomorow and see if that works. I have been having to make a 2 hour trip to get methanol when I need it, so it would be nice to get it locally.

Another con to flatheads is there simply aren't very many places in the country that still run them, they are dead around here except for very few of them we see in open or outlaw classes, and rarely do I ever see them even in those classes.

It is a bit more expensive than getting by the drum... They sell it in 1L or 4L containers... But heck when regular gas is a $1.20 a litre and I have to pay $1.75 for meth... It is worth it... Not to have to drive like you said 50kms one way to get it!!! Plus there is a hardware store 5mins from our track...

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it. I want to get something on the kart this year cheap to get me started then next year start building a clone. Looks like the predator is the best choice.

Tire shops that work with farm tractor tires use methanol in them to add weight for better traction---they will fill the tire about half full or more--never full. Used to use a calcium chloride mixture but it is very corrosive as you all know if you have raced on a calcium track. John

Back