flatheads

Flatheads are forever in my book.I'm 50 years old and built my first flathead at 12 years old I grew up with these engines.its like losing a really close friend.

Flatheads are forever in my book.I'm 50 years old and built my first flathead at 12 years old I grew up with these engines.its like losing a really close friend.

I agree !! Im 60 and cut my teeth on flat heads as well. Built and raced my own up until the 90s when I had to give up because of age and other problems. Still have a huge passion for flattys and still build when I can. As mentioned above, unfortunately when Briggs switched over to the OHV design is also about the time the clones started showing up. Because of the price difference, people started experimenting with them and found you could build a pretty stout motor at much less overall cost. The aftermarket company's saw how popular they were becoming and jumped on the band wagon. Long story short, the clone has now become the motor of choice because of price and part availability.

I'm into both, but my true passion is still the flat head.

Vic

We have 20 fh in Ashland, va running 375 and its very competitive class every week for points. More fh showing up every week. Turkey trot is nov 23 paying at least $500 to win for fh. Check out the web site and come check it out!! I have seen p& p and Todd millers drivers here and betting they will be here this year also. Lots of payouts of $1500 each class!!!
I have also run at Brunswick speedway in lawrenceville they have a stock light 325 class and it used to be a car track so there's plenty of room and banked corners.

Flattys are plentiful up here in mi, my friend owns 3 flatty race engines and has umpteenmillion blocks

was gonna put one on a buggie an run open practice with it . but the idea hit me too late in tbe year
im still learning to drive my sprint but next year i want a bugy and it will probably start out with a flatty
that wont tech in box stock. our junior classes can run any of the 3 the way i read it.

Call Southern Express Karting ask for Brad in Dawsonville, GA best flathead builder also AAA Karting ask for Kenny (owner) in Lawrenceville ,GA you can shipped the block to them alot cheaper then driving . They both have web site.
wheres little e located? im hoping to start running at dawgwood speedway full time next year.

My local Dirt Tracks don't run Flatheads, there all Clone. I still own a good built Flathead, I built (Myself) I really don't know if I will ever get to run it. It's never ran a race, but I won't throw it away.
Briggs Flathead For Life!!

We're still building and rebuilding plenty of flatheads.

As the clone prices escalated and guys got tired of the rule changes and the latest update of the month, they've been pulling the old flatheads out of retirement. Real good flatheads are being bought cheap and freshened up cheaply. Animals are picking up and the LO206 has really taken off in certain areas of the country.

Like someone said earlier in this thread - every 10 years or so something new (cheaper) comes along and everyone seems to migrate to it. As best as I remember; West Bends and Macs, Yami KT100s, then the Briggs flathead. The flathead sure proved itself worthy by being the most popular engine package in karting for around 25 years (mid 80's to just recently.) Locally, the flathead is still the most popular engine. The last 5 years or so we saw the clone come on the scene and in just that amount of time they've went from $100 engines to $1000 engines. Not what was expected by most, I'm sure. It took the flatheads 20 years to climb that high in price and if it weren't for a "supposedly" minor rule change in 1995, I suspect they'd still be under $1000. I seriously doubt the clone will be around nearly as long. Who knows what will be next. Predator? Na. My money is on Briggs making a strong comeback with the LO206, ProGas, and Animal engines. Ultimately, the racers will decide.

---
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
25 years serving the karting industry

* FYI, vdka will be running a 375 stock fh class for the 2014 season!!!

* Also Capital City Speedway and Amelia motor raceway will be having 350 and 375 stock fh classes this year for anybody interested. Time to dust off those fh and bring them to the line!!!

Back