Flatty health through a sprint season?

Mac_49

Those that race/d limiteds (specifically Blue Wazooms) in sprint series, can you get a full season out of them without rebuilds? We won't be pushing them past roughly 7,400 and even then the track is small so we wouldn't be up there for very long.
We're looking at a 10 race season.

I would think it would be related to the length of your race day.
An oval track, hot laps, 2 heat races, and 20 lap feature may only net 10 minutes of run time.

Sprint course, 2 or 3 practice sessions, 2 or 3 features of 10 minutes or longer, adds to more run time.

The fuel being used, and the amount of idling (methanol especially) contribute to wear.

Do the wazooms use stock type pistons and rings? Chrome rings wear much less than cast rings.

It'd most likely be just 1 practice (5 minutes), 1 heat (5 laps) and 1 main (18 laps).
The track isn't but a 3/4 mile track. It's small. It's only about 30 seconds/lap for the 206's.
I have a couple setups for a "vintage style" class in between the regular 206 races that the track has agreed to let us run. It's more along the lines of this is basically the only chance to ever get to have fun like this again with old equipment. #flattyfun
They'd be alky's with definitely not much idling time. Fire up and head out.
I'm not sure about the pistons and rings but hoping someone can chime in.

The numbers don't add up.

3/4 mile, 30 seconds lap means 1.5 miles per minute.

My lo206 won't average 90 mph. Even with a draft.

Will barely do that in the trailer behind the stroker.

Last edited:
The numbers don't add up.

3/4 mile, 30 seconds lap means 1.5 miles per minute.

My lo206 won't average 90 mph. Even with a draft.

Will barely do that in the trailer behind the stroker.
I know they're around 30 second laps but I used google maps to find the distance which could've been off for sure.
Maybe its 0.35 of a mile

You should be just fine running that wazoom that many races. The key is the lower rpm. Most stockers now run in the low 7's. With the cam in the Wazoom, you're probably going to be tempted to turn it harder on the sprint circuit.
I was thinking that the Blue Wazoom flathead used a Wiseco piston and ring set. I honestly don't remember.
I've got a used one here in the shop that I'd let go CHEAP if you need another one (someone to race against possibly?) Comes complete with Zama carb. It's been repaired and rebuilt at one time, I am unsure of the condition of it currently, other than it ran when it came in the shop. I could freshen it for you or sell it as is.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

42 mph average might be more believable.
Probably not very technical course.
It's decent enough honestly. I'd call it a pretty "disciplined" track all things considered. There's elevation changes for sure which adds to the corner drama lol.
Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 7.31.12 AM.png

You should be just fine running that wazoom that many races. The key is the lower rpm. Most stockers now run in the low 7's. With the cam in the Wazoom, you're probably going to be tempted to turn it harder on the sprint circuit.
I was thinking that the Blue Wazoom flathead used a Wiseco piston and ring set. I honestly don't remember.
I've got a used one here in the shop that I'd let go CHEAP if you need another one (someone to race against possibly?) Comes complete with Zama carb. It's been repaired and rebuilt at one time, I am unsure of the condition of it currently, other than it ran when it came in the shop. I could freshen it for you or sell it as is.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I'd definitely be interested in it. Do you have the block seals for them by chance?

It's decent enough honestly. I'd call it a pretty "disciplined" track all things considered. There's elevation changes for sure which adds to the corner drama lol.
View attachment 13929
My point being to maintain 42 mph average, if there are some 22 mph sections, you need to spend a like amount of time at 62 mph to keep your average.

Depending on bodywork and the draft, that would be about all the speed possible with the power available.
Speaking LO206, of course.

The piston out of mine is a three ring wiseco .
1992 : what looks like a filled top ring and total seal second ring with a standard single cast oil ring . That ring package should last a good while .
Full skirt .

Attachments

• 16130717559055868555275785702080.jpg
    16130717559055868555275785702080.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 16130718384123126828187877180778.jpg
    16130718384123126828187877180778.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 8
Was yours a sleeve engine, or a cool bore? cannot tell from pic if it is a chrome piston.
At the time Frank started those, cool bore was the preferred design, at least for stocker racing. The pistons in the stock engines, at that time, were all full round.

It was steel . Bought it brand spanking new . wasn't fast enough added a few things and exploded on the stand that's all that's left cause it wasn't in the engine .

Bought brand spaking new . It was unsealed stock appering version . Better cam . Same porting . .750 briggs carb and tank . I assume same internals .

No, I don't have the seals. I never became a "certified" sealing center for the Wazooms.
You can purchase wire lead seals online for them.
Give us a call here at the shop if you're interested in the one I've got here. Like I said, it's in loose hands.
I considered freshening it before selling, but ultimately I figured it's probably going to end up on a mini-bike or at a back yard track.
Who knows, this may have better internals, I have no idea without breaking it open.
I do have some pictures of the outside of the engine that I can send to you if you'd like.
Just let me know.

The piston out of mine is a three ring wiseco .
1992 : what looks like a filled top ring and total seal second ring with a standard single cast oil ring . That ring package should last a good while .
Full skirt .
Yep, I have several of those pistons here on the shelf still. We also used them in the super stock class if I remember correctly.
Stock rings will fit it. The total seal rings that I used to get were for the second ring - they simply machined a groove in them for the thin rail ring to sit and you ran it reversed 180* to better seal.

Back