Floating hubs are they worth it

nascar

Are floating hubs really worth the money. If so which one is better. Or should we stay with a fixed hub. And which fixed hub is better.

What advantage are you trying to get by going to the floating hub? Will it drop lap times, I doubt it makes that much of a difference. Does it give me a piece of mind that my chain isn't gonna be bound up on the track from the chassis flexing, yes. I have a triton and have the excel floating hub

Are you running lead or lag in the rear axle? Any wedge in the axle?

Keep in mind that the chain has plenty of side to side play already on the gears (driver and sprocket), as well as endplay on the crankshaft and clutch. I seriously doubt that the chassis is flexing enough to cause chain bind. Does the chassis flex, absolutely! Enough to cause problems with the chain on a fixed hub that is correctly mounted/centered? I just can't see it.

With all that said, I really like the higher end floating hubs (PRC and PMI) with ball bearings. I have run the PRC hub with no chain guards or guides whatsoever on some pretty rough tracks and taken some pretty good hits and have yet to have a chain problem. Now, I would not recommend running the floating hubs with high HP engines. I prefer the double pinch solid style for anything with serious power.

Is it worth the $90 for a good floating hub? That's up to you.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

My opinion is that a floating brake rotor is more beneficial, potentially reducing parasitic drag moreso than a conventional rotor mount.

Maybe its just me, but for the price the floating hubs cost, id rather spend that on tires or something that actually can pick up lap times

Anyone seen a GP Motorbike with floating Rear Hub for the chain? I think not!!
Yes, the brake discs, and it is not the hub that floats, the disc is on pins allowing
side to side movement.

Richard King

Lmao, how does a Gp bike that has no where near the drive train setup we do compare?

They are not dealing with alignment from wedge, lead in the axle in those. How can that even remotely compare?

I like them, but I run both. I set it up just like the fix mount with it in the center and gives it room to go both ways, they don't travel a whole bunch. Never had issues with the gears wearing funny either. Check your chain slack and alignment with it on the ground if you are having wear issues. I keep mine a little on the tight side on the stand it loosens up on the ground.

Back