floating sprocket hub

vbracing55

So been looking into getting a floating sprocket hub has anyone used one and is their any advantages to it or does it cause more problems any input would be great thanks in advance

I had a JEX on my last kart and wish I kept it. They noticably help with chain alignment a lot if you are using the weight jack or axle lead. I never had any issues with it and will get another when I have the cash.

I tried one a long time ago when I began, but now I think that if you need one, you have other problems. Now I build my own engine mounts so that I can build in off-sets to compensate for axle off sets etc., I like to have my sprockets both run in the same plane.

I have run Jex like it .then switch to phantom hub and gear's love them all so .trust me if you run a regular hub switch over to floating hub .you want be sorry .it make setting your chain up breeze . The clone blocks and some of the engine mounts have a lot wiggle room in them .its very hard get your chain line up .with float hub you don't have worry about it . We never ran gear guard . Never lost chain with floating hub .

I never had a single issue with the Phantom Hub . So free and smooth. No rear gear guard is needed, just use the Phantom chain guide !

Align the sprockets to each other properly. Use a ruler or straight edge to do so. Or....EC taught me this.....take a length of wood, (like a 1"X2") cut a slot it in, the width of the sprocket and clutch gear, slide it over them so they are perfectly aligned to each other, tighten the spocket and spend your money on something of value.....not that stuff.
Tires and prep come to mind, for purchasing value.

I just use a strip of electrician's moulding with a little notch placed just past where your little finger would usually go. If you look at it from the top, you easily see where the "flop" comes from. Best to get that floater but make sure your torque adjust are correct. You can't be too careful with them!

I've always rolled the wheels backwards with the chain on and tighten the hub down when the teeth are in the center of the chain. Is there a problem with this method I don't know about?

Thing is with the floaters your driveline stays free and more aligned through the corners during chassis flex , axle flex and the forces that are also trying to throw your chain to the outside corner of the track . In hopes that zero binding is happening and your not wasting power or scrubbing off any more unnecessary speed .

Thing is with the floaters your driveline stays free and more aligned through the corners during chassis flex , axle flex and the forces that are also trying to throw your chain to the outside corner of the track . In hopes that zero binding is happening and your not wasting power or scrubbing off any more unnecessary speed .

I've never really thought about it, but what you say makes a lot of sense. I may look into one myself.

Thats one of the main reasons I was looking at buying was for cornering speed my chassis flexes a lot its a little older then most lol thanks again for all the input hopes thos helps anyone else looking to buy one

Back