Floor Pan vs Low Seat

Bergh223

I am kicking around the idea of getting a new kart, most likely for next season. A thought crossed my mind. Coming from a sprint back ground, we want the bottom of the seat to be below the frame rail, just above the point where it would scrape. I noticed that many of the new chassis come with full floor pans (at least as an option).

For dirt, does running the full floor pan force you to run the seat/CG too high? Is the small aero gain negated by the possible performance decrease of moving that CG up a 1/2"-1"? Just a thought as I will be racing primarily at a paradise that is a heavy 1/4, hard, dusty track in upstate NY. Wondering if the full floor pan is an advantage.

when i installed my seat with a full floor pan i let the seat sit on the pan which if you think about it that puts the seat all the way down inside frame rails besides the couple mm of the thickness of floor pan which is a plus the way i look at it your seat isnt dragging scrubbing off speed.

I honestly do not remember what the rule book says, but they seem to only tech the height of the back of the seat at the Gold Cup. No one looks at the bottom. Every single Sr driver would be back at their trailer remounting their seat before the first practice if they enforced it!

A good rule of thumb for a dirt oval seat in reference to the frame rails would be the seat bottom ----no lower than the bottom rail--- and no higher than the top of the frame rail.

Back