Florida AllStars race # 2 Results

Taft Racing

Another picture perfect Florida day, Not a cloud in the sky, 75 degrees perfect racing weather.
This time the Pound found them self's at Dirt Devils Speedway, located in Land O lakes Florida. http://dirtdevilsspeedway.com/schedule.html We'd like to thank Sam and Sandy for hosting our second outing. The entire Dirt Devils crew did a fantastic job getting the track in racing condition after some late week rain. The extra work took us later into the evening so inevitably we had to race under the lights. Did I ever say I don't like racing at night?

The Florida AllStars did not fail us, we had a great turnout with most all the top guys there to contend. Troy Robinson the defending DD winner was on hand and drew front row for the heat race. Troys Honda CR250 has been wicked fast but often just over powers these smaller tracks. along with Troy his entourage parking right along side from Tampa were the 43 of Ron Anderson and the 8 of Ron Delancy both also sporting CR250's. headed down the pit lane Heath Dorn, Heath was so fast as Fruitland we expected to see a real challenge, Heath welds his little 125 PRD to the ground weighing in over 440lbs but it doesn't slow him down at all. Our regulars Wayne Howe, Hoppy Hoskinson,Mike Nicosia his son Brad our outlaw contender, and a revisit from our vary own past Administrator, former AMA NHRA and UAS National Champion Ed (BullDog) Schreifels. Ed has been one of the fastest to ever drive this little 1/5th mile dirt oval.

With a pill selection the racers were first out on the track for the days racing. As always the fence was lined with spectators. The roar speed and spectacle of these UAS racers cannot be ignored.
Troy Robinson took a huge jump off the green and quickly pulled away from the pack, but it wasn't long and he found himself sliding in through and out of the turns, just wasn't ale to find the bite to use his power. Mike Nicosia and Ed Schriefels were closing in fast, And not to be out done a surprisingly Hoppy Hoskinson not too far off in 4th. Wayne Howe who generally is always in contention was really struggling to get any bite all day. It's not like Wayne . My guess he'll figure it out and be back for the money race coming up.

As Nicosia reeled in Troy he was looking under for several laps when Troy slid up one too many times Mike just powered right by on that little 125 Sudam, Ed was looking to keep pace with Mike but couldn't find a clean line under Troy. with only a couple laps to go a caution came out lining every one back up.

On the restart Mike stood on it and held off the 250 charging into turn one, Troy tight up behind, and Ed again still looking for that mistake on the two in front. Coming out of turn 4 Mike slide up in nearly the same spot Troy had allowing Mike to take the lead, This time Troy just squeezed the trigger and the 250 shot up passing Mike on the back straight and heading into turn one, As Mike pinched down looking to slide in his LF nose panel hooked Troys RR wheel opening, the 250 driver pulled the helpless passenger into the turn, finally the rear wedge brace broke off and sent Mike spinning off turn 2, with only a lap left they finished,

1st Robinson
2nd Schreifels
3rd Hoskinson
4th Dorn
5th Brad Nicosia (outlaw)
6th Howe
7th Mike Nicosia
8th Anderson
9th Delancy

The Sun was setting low by this time and after the days other events we took the track for the Feature, It was shaping up to be a great race with defending champ Troy out front Ed Schriefels outside pole lead foot Hoskinson tucked right up under Troys rear bumper and they were off, Hoskinson rifled by Schreifels who dropped back quickly , Thats never like Ed he's usually the first on the gas on any start, turn one saw the dirt fly and karts in the spin cycle, the yellow flew and as Ed reentered the racing surface from a off track ride his kart was looking very suspect.

with a single file restart again Troy jumped out to a commanding lead, and yet again Ed dropped like a stone to the rear, he twitched and shook and then headed for the off ramp, we later found his LR tire to be flat and the culprit of his evil handling kart.

Back to the race Troy was on the gas and pulling away, only one guy kept him honest and we all just stood in amazement as Hoppy on Ed's old 03 Buller and 131 Sudam kept Troy honest and within reach. the rest were struggling Nicosia, Howe, uncharacteristically were following up the rear, as Dorn drew into 3rd Howe into 4th and the little engine that could Brad Nicosia pulled his little yamaha all the way up the 5th, Mike Nicosia our FAS Champ took a almost never spin on his own in turn 4, this brought out a corner caution and as Troy entered turn 3 he mistook the caution as being full course. backing off and not being fooled Hoppy Hoskinson blew by Troy on the back straight, Troy quickly figured he made the error and charged hard after Hoppy, rolling right back in on his back Bumper, Now Troy wanted the lead back and Hoppy wasn't making any mistakes, he had the hammer down.

As they drew close on Mike Nicosia, the flag man let Mike know the leaders were on him, Mike gave Hoppy room but then dropped in right in front of Troy, Troy darted out to avoid him and the laps started winding down. The tower was giving Mike signals to move out of the racers way and allow the race for the win to go uninhibited But Mike was for some reason intent on his position. Finally Troy found the line and passed both Mike and Hoppy coming out of turn 2 and stood on the gas he re assumed the front and with a couple laps left Hoppy tired from the battle looped his ride but never gave up his 2nd place position, having cleared Hoppy Mike finally took notice of the now Black flag being displayed ending his day and any points for his efforts.

Troy sailed on in for the win Hoppy regained his composure finishing second and astounding the crowd and himself, Heath Dorn limped his now water less water cooled engine in for a 3rd and Wayne Howe survived and pulled in a comfortable 4th, the kid Brad Nicosia drove that KT100 all the way to 5th rounding out the field were, Anderson Schreifels and Delancy. we'll get Delancy to finish one of these very soon the guy just never gives up. Mike Nicosia DQd

Do to the format of this forum now I'll post up pics on more posts. Thanks to every one who came out to enjoy yet another great event for the Florida AllStars.

Heath Dorn in the orange and the man himself PD Power Paul Doss

A visitor from the North Skip Furlow . Skips son will be competing in the Empire series in a few weeks. Skip will have to leave all this sun and drive back into the unforgiven north.

That's a great set of pic's.
Shows a typically great Florida evening, on a great Fl. track, and a bunch of Dog Pounders.....some great, and some....well.....more great!!!

The race and the evening, and camaraderie were better, if possible, than the pic's show!!
PLUS, at the very end of the incredibly hard fought feature, there was a nice controversy to mulch on after the checkers flew.
You had to be there!!!

Tim,

come back up north - it's snowing again!!!!!!!! predicting up to 18" here in central NY near Paradise!!!! LOL Looking for a ride south!

I saw a "43" on a kart - that's my number up here. maybe I could get a ride in it!! LOL

Thats Ron Anderson and its always putting on a show. Its 80 here right now but a front is coming threw tonight. Ganna be 60 tomorrow brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks from me too, and we've been there at D.D.'s many times over the yrs. and I don't think I've ever seen the track in better condition.

Back