Florida champ kart - seat belts

What year is stamped on the belts you have?

at this time I am researching the
rules for champ kart .
the rules speak on the bar behind
the seat which the seat belts attach to,
speaks of the required arm restraints
and of the snell date rating for safe
useage , no info on the seatbelts.

NHRA has a rule for the age for
safe use .

In the absence of guidance from the rules of the track(s) at which you intend to run, use the WoO or NHRA guidance if you wish. Since we are talking karts here, where the stresses are much less, we always pushed those numbers from 2 years to 5 years, but we also inspected our harness system regularly and would replace it sooner if any wear or damage that would reduce strength was found.

Our experience in the karting world was that champ karts were inspected to see that they had belts installed, but that they never checked for dates. Your situation may vary.

Per NKA 2022:

20.4.7: Seat Belts 20.4.7.1: Mandatory 5-point minimum harness must be commercially manufactured for motorsports with SFI rating. 2” wide belts are allowed for drivers less than 150 pounds; 3” wide belts are required for drivers over 150 pounds. 20.4.7.2: Lap & Sub Belts Cannot wrap around fame and must be mounted via a welded on steel seatbelt tab: at least .063” thick and 2” square. 20.4.7.3: Shoulder Belts Cannot be mounted to vertical cage rails and must be lower than the driver’s shoulder blades. 20.4.7.4: Arm Restraints Mandatory SFI-rated, must attach to seat belt system, and not allow any part of the driver’s hand or arms outside the cage when fully extended.

In past years belts were dated with a manufacture date and MOST tracks and rule sanction bodies were TWO years past that date. Some tracks would inspect the belts and if they were in good condition (no burns, fraying, etc.) would allow up to five years past the the manufacture date. Today belt manufactures now mark belts with an expiration date (normally two years from the manufacture date). It seems to depend on the track and sanctioning body as to how picky they get. One thing I've never seen enforced is the 2" or 3" wide rule based on driver weight. I'm 215lbs and have ran nothing but 2" everywhere I've been.

Per NKA 2022:

20.4.7: Seat Belts 20.4.7.1: Mandatory 5-point minimum harness must be commercially manufactured for motorsports with SFI rating. 2” wide belts are allowed for drivers less than 150 pounds; 3” wide belts are required for drivers over 150 pounds. 20.4.7.2: Lap & Sub Belts Cannot wrap around fame and must be mounted via a welded on steel seatbelt tab: at least .063” thick and 2” square. 20.4.7.3: Shoulder Belts Cannot be mounted to vertical cage rails and must be lower than the driver’s shoulder blades. 20.4.7.4: Arm Restraints Mandatory SFI-rated, must attach to seat belt system, and not allow any part of the driver’s hand or arms outside the cage when fully extended.

In past years belts were dated with a manufacture date and MOST tracks and rule sanction bodies were TWO years past that date. Some tracks would inspect the belts and if they were in good condition (no burns, fraying, etc.) would allow up to five years past the the manufacture date. Today belt manufactures now mark belts with an expiration date (normally two years from the manufacture date). It seems to depend on the track and sanctioning body as to how picky they get. One thing I've never seen enforced is the 2" or 3" wide rule based on driver weight. I'm 215lbs and have ran nothing but 2" everywhere I've been.
I've had the same experience and seems to be up to the track and/or sanctioning body. Some tracks we've gone to are strict with the SFI dating policy and others are more concerned about the condition of the belts. I've also never seen a track enforce 2" or 3" belt rule. Tracks also seem to allow the crotch belt to be wrapped around the front cross bar.

Back