Florida racing and AKRA porting rules

1fasttiller

So I was just informed that Florida supposedly runs under its own version of AKRA rules where no porting is allowed in the clone classes. Can any of you fellow Florida racers/builders shed some light on this for me? We've been racing down here for almost 2 years now and have never heard of this. My engines follow AKRA rule books. I know all tracks can make up/have different rules but I Just found this one quite odd especially since it is never posted or made clear. I do not condone cheating of any kind and need facts before getting any more heads done.

Thanks!

Don, that is part of my issue. We've been racing at these tracks for awhile and were just recently made aware of this "minor rule change" via a facebook post. Nowhere has it ever been stated previously.

I’ve heard the same thing about a particular track in FL
AKRA rules, but no porting. It doesn’t make any sense to me, plus never saw any pist race teching going on at all!

I’ve heard the same thing about a particular track in FL
AKRA rules, but no porting. It doesn’t make any sense to me, plus never saw any pist race teching going on at all!
Hi JC, I've IM'd you about this.... I'm glad I'm not the only one that has heard of this. Seems like a ludicrous way to toss a lot of unknown racers in tech...

Hi JC, I've IM'd you about this.... I'm glad I'm not the only one that has heard of this. Seems like a ludicrous way to toss a lot of unknown racers in tech...
Fl. kart tracks : Prior to choosing which track to race; my research of track rules ( FLORIDA DIRT MOTOR SPEEDWAY , ORIGINIAL SPEEDWAY ) and some others . Neither web-sites post their rule package . Upon calling/messaging one gets varied information with only having more questions / concerns ( which makes for "He said She said" and no proof/documentation if one follows that verbal advice . Further discussion about motor rules [NKA or AKRA] (WKA seems to be DEAD) with a few prominent kart shops and track officials, I was told that several [or all ] FL tracks / promoters have an agreement of NO PORTING allowed . The web-sites at my last read - list safety and race rule expectations but lack the information of engine/motor rules . Is It just : an error , difficultly keeping up w changes and getting them posted [ time/communication/money ] , an omission by design ?

Fl. kart tracks : Prior to choosing which track to race; my research of track rules ( FLORIDA DIRT MOTOR SPEEDWAY , ORIGINIAL SPEEDWAY ) and some others . Neither web-sites post their rule package . Upon calling/messaging one gets varied information with only having more questions / concerns ( which makes for "He said She said" and no proof/documentation if one follows that verbal advice . Further discussion about motor rules [NKA or AKRA] (WKA seems to be DEAD) with a few prominent kart shops and track officials, I was told that several [or all ] FL tracks / promoters have an agreement of NO PORTING allowed . The web-sites at my last read - list safety and race rule expectations but lack the information of engine/motor rules . Is It just : an error , difficultly keeping up w changes and getting them posted [ time/communication/money ] , an omission by design ?

This has been my results exactly. It is total BS to say you use AKRA rules package at all tracks but yet you decide internally to NOT allow porting?? And then to not publicly announce and make it aware to ALL racers is just an invitation to issues at the tech barn! My engines will remain AKRA compliant and when questioned I will always have the AKRA manual in my back pocket. I can't stand tracks deviating from a known, established rule set. It makes things so confusing to racers and extra costly.

And then I find this hidden gem buried in the Vega dirt series site... this is ridiculous! They pick and choose the rules they want and from different years!
Vega snip.JPG

Lot of tracks in Alabama and Georgia used to be NKA now they are allowing both NKA and ARKA to help decreased kart counts. Then the NKA guys complain because of the advantage... therefore this rule became popular around here. Don’t know if it’s now trickledown to Florida but it is definitely one reason I as a al/ga NKA race team haven’t ventured to Florida because I just don’t have enough ARKA tracks around to justify building two ported ARKA motors for our team. I understand the frustration though... it’s either gotta be changed for good or left separate! There can’t be an in between.

All state series I have ran say ARKA with no porting or NKA but must say what one before racing . Same with asphalt series .

Aren't AKRA rules with no porting just NKA rules ?
No because it’s something with the NKA cams not have a lift rule if I remember correctly, I also think an NKA will turn more rpm than a ported AKRA motor.

I completely agree, pick a set of standardized rules and stick with them! This BS of using both NKA and AKRA plus some adaptation of the tracks own discretion is a joke and it what is killing the sport!

Back