Flow bench

What can be done to a Bsp head to improve it's flow beyond seats and seat throat id.s? How about carbs, what beyond throat dia and venturi dia.?Again legal Bsp.
Jim

Short answer is, nothing. Improving the flow of a stock head and staying within the rules is tough. When I say tough, I mean next to impossible. This is the reason that some pay huge prices for engines. Part picking. Buy a hundred heads at 5 or 6 bucks apiece, flow them all and pick the best one. There is a reason there have been so many threads about "what head casting number is best?". Searching for the "best" head is always being done. If it was me, I would buy a few heads and flow them. Pick the best one and give it a high quality three angle valve grind. That in and of itself is about all the modification allowed. Some will say you cant "add" a three angle to a head that came with two. Rules clearly state three angle is legal. Rule interpretation is an emotional topic at times. You make the call. As far as carbs go, I would get me a Dover HM or a Racingcarb.com carb and run it. Changing the shape of the "ramp" leading to the venturi and away from the venturi will affect flow. Sometimes greatly. This is not "legal" to do as I interpret the rules. Again, order a few dozen and hit the flow bench, or save the time and just buy good one from those who have already done all the "flowing'. Good luck

Back