Flushing?

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
Did a quick search to no avail. I have recently acquired a flatty to run on my vintage kart. Once I run methanol through the tank for a raceday, how do y'all drain and flush the carb? I assume I have to siphon the tank or something? Advice appreciated for a FH newb....

You can, and it certainly helps a ton --- BUT, the caveat is that if your series does fuel tech at all, any residue of gas left in the fuel tank will ding the fuel test (water test for sure.)

Most guys will siphon the alcohol out (a new kerosene heater pump works well - we sell them through the shop if you can't find one locally.)
After the fuel is siphoned out, restart your engine and it will run on just the fuel in the cup in the top of the tank for about 30 seconds, then spray WD40 in the intake until it stalls the engine.
That does a fine job of cleaning some alcohol from the carb bore, and gives some protection to the valve seats, cylinder, and rings, but does absolutely nothing to clean the fuel side of the carb (ie stems, diaphragm, jet, metering holes, etc.) I guess it's better than nothing. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

A good friend we raced with did his as Brian stated. I just changed the diaphragm often.
Of course we were racing twice a week , so didn't sit long.

call me lucky but we race every other weekend at our local track and all i ever do is mix a bit of burris castor and marvel mystery oil in whats left of my alky and run it up to temp and shut er down. carbs look great inside when i do diaphragm or jet changes and tanks are rust free as well. and usually by the end of hot laps all the carb cocktail has been spent up. just what works for me but it does work

Back